none
How can I copy and paste multiple tasks from one project to another?

Frage

• Hello,

I was hoping this would be a simple copy and paste exercise, but for some reason I can't seem to get it to work. What I'd like is to be able to have component pieces of tasks, such as an RFP from a vendor, that aren't in all projects, and to cut and paste them with indents and summery / sub-tasks. Any thoughts, on either getting copy / paste to work in Project Online / Project 2016 or a better solution. 

As always, any and all assistance is appreciated! 

Cheers, Ray 

Freitag, 1. Juni 2018 19:25

Antworten

• Hi Raymond, I can certainly copy from one project to another within MS Project. Please be aware though the different between selecting the whole row (by clicking on the row ID) and selecting a number of cells.  Also, when you paste then you should have all of the same columns displayed, otherwise you may be pasting a date into a duration cell or something equally disastrous. 

For simplicity sake, you might want to keep your "template" portions in either a "clean" project template file that you only use for this purpose, or even an Excel file. Depending on where you paste the tasks, it is unlikely that items such as dependencies will work... 

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Freitag, 1. Juni 2018 20:22

Alle Antworten

• Hi Raymond, I can certainly copy from one project to another within MS Project. Please be aware though the different between selecting the whole row (by clicking on the row ID) and selecting a number of cells.  Also, when you paste then you should have all of the same columns displayed, otherwise you may be pasting a date into a duration cell or something equally disastrous. 

For simplicity sake, you might want to keep your "template" portions in either a "clean" project template file that you only use for this purpose, or even an Excel file. Depending on where you paste the tasks, it is unlikely that items such as dependencies will work... 

Freitag, 1. Juni 2018 20:22
  • Thanks Ben,

I was able to copy and paste with no problem at home, I don't remember running across this issue before, but here at work I can't seem to do it, is there any permissions or configuration settings that could prohibit this?

I'll use your template suggestion and make sure the columns are the same to avoid issues. 

Cheers, Ray

Montag, 4. Juni 2018 12:36
  • Hi Raymond,

No, at the copy/paste stage permissions won't come into it, I presume you are using the Project Client and not PWA in a browser? 

Montag, 4. Juni 2018 13:34
  • Correct. Thanks, Ray
    Montag, 4. Juni 2018 13:55