none
AD migration on office 365

Frage

• Hello

Please tell me what are the advantages and in which case we migrate the Active directory objects (on Premises) to Active directory office 365?

Please describe me in your own experience. thanks

Regards

Freitag, 11. Mai 2018 09:59

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

Well this is one of the requirement as per company organisations, It depends like if you have got Active Directory server deployed in your environment then you can directly syncs the objects to office 365 cloud.

Same Sign on is just easier for users, since they don't have to remember two different username/password combinations for the accounts. AD Sync is also relatively easy to setup, doesn't require significant overhead, and once setup it's mostly set and forget. Also you setup user accounts once in AD and they automatically sync to Office 365; you don't have to setup twice.

Disadvantage is that new accounts are setup locally and cannot be created in the cloud. In some instances, you might want password writeback so remote users can reset their passwords online, but that might require additional licensing depending on what plan you have. ADSync requires a computer or VM to run on but uses few resources.

For more information, please refer to the below mentioned article link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/connect/active-directory-aadconnect

Cheers,

Saurabh

Please remember to mark the solution as the answer using "Mark as Answer". If you find a solution to be helpful, please use Vote as Helpful

• Bearbeitet Saurabh_Y Sonntag, 13. Mai 2018 07:30
    Sonntag, 13. Mai 2018 07:30
  • Hi Saurabh,

You could not understand my questions.

My first question is. What is mean by 365 in office365.

My second question is. Why companies want to migrate Active directory objects in office 365 even they have already on premises AD server?

tell me any scenario. thanks

Regards

Sonntag, 13. Mai 2018 14:42
  • i do understand the question

"What is mean by 365 in office365."

"365" suggests that the suite can be used at any time since it is cloud-based, i.e. 365 days of the year. It's also subscription-based, so you get it every year, i.e. 365. If you want more information please refer to the below mentioned article link:

https://blogs.gartner.com/guy-creese/2010/10/21/microsoft-office-365-the-names-that-might-have-been/

"Why companies want to migrate Active directory objects in office 365 even they have already on premises AD server?"

well there are some companies requirements in which they want to keep some users mailboxes on on-premises exchange server and some mailboxes over office 365 that approach called as Hybrid environment. Further there are more reasons behind that approach, for password synchronisation approach or ADFS environment approach organisation do need to setup the AD.

Cheers,

Saurabh

Please remember to mark the solution as the answer using "Mark as Answer". If you find a solution to be helpful, please use Vote as Helpful

Sonntag, 13. Mai 2018 15:33
  • HI,

I understand first question.

In second question, I have some confusions.

Only for hybrid environment or ADFS environment, we migrate AD objects?

For example we are not using mail services or ADFS. We want to migrate all objects from Onpremises AD to office 365. After migration I want to demote the AD server which I have on premises. Can I do this task?

Means to say I want to use AD on office365. Is it possible?

Sonntag, 13. Mai 2018 20:51
  • Hi chapter 7,

Thanks for visiting our forum. Then here we mainly focus on general issues about Office client. Since your query is more related to migration on Office 365, I'll move your thread to the dedicated forum for Migration and Coexistence for better response.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Montag, 14. Mai 2018 01:53
  • Hello chapter 7,

thanks for your reply, well in the case you want to migrate all the objects from Onpremises AD to office 365 that can be achievable with the help of AD connect tool but still i want to understand why you are demoting the AD server, because your users attributes will be managed from AD it self from where the users will get synced and there password synchronisation will be done.

Further, could you please elaborate what kind of objects you are trying to move to office 365, brief me some details, so that i can share you the possible resolution for your query.

Cheers,

Saurabh

Montag, 14. Mai 2018 15:30
  • Hi,

Any further concern about your question?
    If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer. Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

vor 17 Stunden 14 Minuten