none
Import Local Project Plan to Project Online

Frage

• Hi,

I need to programmatically read the local project plan and upload it to Project Online using MSP.

My best bet is to write something based on Interop. but i dont have much idea on it. 

is there any document/article which can get me started?

Thanks, Parth

Sonntag, 13. Mai 2018 09:37

Antworten

• Parth --

I am not aware of any documentation on how to use the Import Wizard, but basically you do the following:

• Launch Project Pro and connect to Project Online.
    • Open the MPP file you want to import.
    • Click File > Save As and then select the Use Import Wizard checkbox.
    • Click the Save button and the system will launch the Import Project sidepane on the left side of the screen.

The Import Wizard will offer you a 5-step process to import the MPP file.  The most important step is Step 1, mapping local resources in the project with corresponding enterprise resources.  DO NOT skip that step, and take your time doing the mapping.  Step 5 is where you actually save the project in Project Online.

If you are using Project Pro for Office 365, newly name Project Online Professional, make sure you have updated your software with the absolute latest updates from Microsoft.  This is because of a bug that has afflicted the Import Wizard for a number of years, which has been fixed in one of the most recent updates.  If you click File > Account, look in the About Project section of the page.  For reference, I am on Version 1804 (Build 9226.2114 Click-To-Run).

Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Als Antwort markiert Parth Rawal Montag, 14. Mai 2018 17:21
    Montag, 14. Mai 2018 13:39

Alle Antworten

• Parth --

Um, why don't you just use the built-in Import Project in Project Professional to import your projects to Project Online?  At some point, your custom software code is going to have to open the MPP file and save it to Project Online.  Using the Import Wizard, the most important step would be to map local resources in the project to corresponding enterprise resources in the Enterprise Resource Pool.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sonntag, 13. Mai 2018 20:54
  • Excellent. I am thinking of the same. And there are options available also. but unfortunately i am not aware of any documentation which can guide me to do the same. 

Please share any information through which i can achieve the same.

Thanks, Parth

Montag, 14. Mai 2018 06:22
  • Parth --

I am not aware of any documentation on how to use the Import Wizard, but basically you do the following:

• Launch Project Pro and connect to Project Online.
    • Open the MPP file you want to import.
    • Click File > Save As and then select the Use Import Wizard checkbox.
    • Click the Save button and the system will launch the Import Project sidepane on the left side of the screen.

The Import Wizard will offer you a 5-step process to import the MPP file.  The most important step is Step 1, mapping local resources in the project with corresponding enterprise resources.  DO NOT skip that step, and take your time doing the mapping.  Step 5 is where you actually save the project in Project Online.

If you are using Project Pro for Office 365, newly name Project Online Professional, make sure you have updated your software with the absolute latest updates from Microsoft.  This is because of a bug that has afflicted the Import Wizard for a number of years, which has been fixed in one of the most recent updates.  If you click File > Account, look in the About Project section of the page.  For reference, I am on Version 1804 (Build 9226.2114 Click-To-Run).

Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Als Antwort markiert Parth Rawal Montag, 14. Mai 2018 17:21
    Montag, 14. Mai 2018 13:39
  • This will be a good start for me. alternatively i was thinking of extracting all project and task related information from MPP and Save it in Separate file (may be XML/JSON) and later push all project related information to newly created (blank) Project. I know this will be humongous task to do :) but your approach sounds more safe and faster. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Thanks, Parth

Montag, 14. Mai 2018 17:21