none
How to setup Replication with two VM Servers? Unable to pickup server while configuring

Frage

• I have created 2 SQL instances on VM using Google cloud

SQL1 and SQL2

when I start configuring replication on SQL1, right click > Replication > Configure Distribution  getting below error

" Select actual computer name "

when I searched I found one MSDN thread 

I checked server name on both sql instances its showing below name

INST-INSTALL-SQ

please advise how to do it

Dienstag, 10. Juli 2018 12:50

Alle Antworten

• Enter the name of the distributor. The name of the distributor should be what you get when you enter hostname from the command prompt.

Then ensure that whatever name there is the same name you get when you do this on the SQL Server which you want to use as your distributor.

select @@Servername

You will need to adjust this for the instance name.

You might be trying to configure a local distributor but have connected to the server using . or localhost or its ip address.  You need to use what is returned by the hostname returned from the command prompt.

Dienstag, 10. Juli 2018 14:08
  • I assume you were configuring via SQL SSMS Tool.

Non-domain server - make sure you don't login with ".\", but instead of the server name

Domain server (SQL1.rectus77.com.us): Just login with the server name (NetBios name) SQL1.  If you have SQL instance name (ex: SQL1.rectus77.com.us\SQLinstance1), just use "SQL1\SQLinstance1" to login and then do the following: right click > Replication > Configure Distribution  getting below error.

Do not put port in the connection (SQL1\SQLinstance1, 1433 or whatever)

Do not set up "hide your instance" on SQL configuration manager unless you use the default port 1433. 

It's better to keep both of servers in the same domain. If not, make sure both of domain trust each other and are able to resolve the machine name via DNS.

Dienstag, 10. Juli 2018 14:23