none
The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. (kb3159706)

Frage

• My WSUS stop working when I installed kb3159706 and ran the post install so I can deploy Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Has anyone ran into this same problem? Below is my log. 

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists, 

Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.IO.IOException -- The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.

Source
    System

Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
    ** this exception was nested inside of the following exception **

System.Net.WebException -- The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.GetUpdateServer(PersistedServerSettings settings)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.get_ServerTools()

Mittwoch, 8. März 2017 23:01

Alle Antworten

• Hi Jason.nguyen,

After installing KB3159706, please check if you run

"C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe" postinstall /servicing

Check if "HTTP Activation" is installed.

If SSL is enabled on the WSUS server, we also need to do the steps list in the KB:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159706/update-enables-esd-decryption-provision-in-wsus-in-windows-server-2012-and-windows-server-2012-r2

If all the steps are all done successfully, while the WSUS console still crash, please increase the Private Memory Limit:

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Donnerstag, 9. März 2017 02:12
  • Hi,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help? If yes, you may mark useful as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Montag, 13. März 2017 09:37
  • this worked for about 5-10 minutes before the error returned.  Any other suggestions? 
    Freitag, 21. April 2017 19:20
  • This was the exact problem I was having, and increasing the memory and it worked for me immediately.  I tripled the default amount of 1843200 to 5529600.  So far so good.  

This had been driving me nuts!  I had even completely rebuilt my WSUS to Server 2016.  It worked for a couple days and failed again.  

I am willing to bet this was the same problem I had on the other server.

Thank you Anne!

Freitag, 5. Mai 2017 19:42
  • Try increasing the memory more.
    Freitag, 5. Mai 2017 19:43
  • My script will fix your issue.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Samstag, 13. Mai 2017 04:58
  • Hi brothers,

It worked very well for my scenario the memory increase in IIS.

Regards,

Sergio Roberto Jr.

It

worked very well for my scenario the memory increase in IIS.

Mittwoch, 17. Mai 2017 19:00
  • Thanks Anne - This worked for me :)
    Dienstag, 6. Juni 2017 18:03
  • Anne, new SCCM 2012R2 Current Branch 1702 has been running flawlessly for almost a month.  Getting all devices imported from a 2008R2 SCCM 2012 R2 1610.  This morning, for some reason, I encountered the issue described in this post.  I increased the wsus app pool private memory from 1843200 to 5529600 and it's been running fine all day. Thanks so much for your insight into this issue. 

Mittwoch, 21. Juni 2017 22:34
  • Great script, my wsus mmc interface was not responding and also the wsus directory size was out of control. This gave me the opportunity to start again without re installing everything

Thanks again

Dienstag, 4. Juli 2017 16:17
  • Increasing the Private memory Limit from 1843200 to 5529600 worked great, thank you so much! 
    Montag, 11. September 2017 13:49
  • I had the same problem and it was because the WSUSPool had stopped running in IIS. Once I started it, I could open the WSUS console.
    Freitag, 16. Februar 2018 15:10
  • Increasing the private memory limit worked for me too. Thank you!
    Donnerstag, 1. März 2018 23:13
  • Increase Private Memory worked.  Thanks
    Donnerstag, 19. April 2018 12:44
  • This solution worked for me thanks!
    Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2018 12:55

• After installing KB3159706, please check if you run

"C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe" postinstall /servicing

it looks like we have to run "<g class="gr_ gr_17 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="17" id="17">postinstall</g>" after any updates. The same works for WS 2016... Thank you!
    Dienstag, 18. September 2018 10:32