none
SQL Always encryption will support transactional replications?

Frage

• Hi Team,

I have currently using Transaction replication in my production database and replicating the same database for internal purpose.

Due to GDPR compliance, we are going to encrypt our database customer information columns using Always Encryption. 

I have found some articles says Always encryption doesn't support Transactional replication.

1. Is Always encryption will support transaction replication or not?

2. If yes, Is any other alternative solutions available for this? like a better option for transaction replication, I have checked something like Always on. This always will support always encryption?

SQL Server Version: 2016

Thanks,

Nagaraj

Dienstag, 8. Mai 2018 04:01

Alle Antworten

• Hi Nagaraj Masub,

Currently, Transactional or merge replication does not work on encrypted columns.

See: Limitations of Always Encrypted

You may consider to configure TDE encrypted database in SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Group.

More articles for your information:

6 things you should know about SQL 2016 AG in Encryption.

Replication Security Best Practices.

And you can share the reason why you need to use Always Encrypted feature for replication.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Dienstag, 8. Mai 2018 10:15
  • Hi Nagaraj Masub,

Update:

Based on my test, SQL Always on (AG) works fine on SQL Always Encryption.

You can just do a test on your environment.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Freitag, 11. Mai 2018 10:02
  • Hi Nagaraj

Transnational replication has limitations. You can choose Always On as its a better solution 

Hariharan Ramalingam | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freitag, 11. Mai 2018 10:55