none
Resources data entry

Frage

• Hello,

Customer wants away to enter Resources from a drop down or lookup table.  Multiple schedulers setting up schedule and the hit the wrong Resource name like Kris instead of Chris and the Resource sheet gets messy!  Any way to clean that up?  Either a drop down or vba code?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Montag, 14. Mai 2018 20:09

Alle Antworten

• Chris,

There already is a drop down for assigning resources. If you click on the selection arrow on the right side of the Resource Names field for any task, you will see a drop down of all the resources on the resource sheet. However, assigning a resource using this method is limited to 100% (i.e. full time). It is not the best practice way of assigning resources.

Keep in mind that if the wrong resource or resource name is entered, the undo command can fix that mistake right away. However, there is no way for Project to recognize that a user has mis-typed or misspelled a name.

Hope this helps.

John
    Dienstag, 15. Mai 2018 13:37
  • I guess what I poorly was trying to say is...

Is there a way to admin the Resource column?  So that multi schedulers will not be able to type or add a wrong name to the Resource sheet.  A kind of lock if you will, typo's really make a mess of the Resource sheet and we need a clean up or purge button, to keep others on the same page.

Dienstag, 15. Mai 2018 14:05
  • Chris,

No, not really. Project is just a tool, it can't monitor what a user types and tell whether it's valid or not (i.e. Project has zero intelligence).

The approach that is most often used is a macro or set of macros that performs an audit on the file and flags data that is not consistent with your corporate needs. However even an audit type macro won't be able to tell whether Kris or Chris are incorrect resource names unless you have a list of all valid potential resource names that can be used to compare against what a user has entered. Even then, if Kris and Chris are both potential resources you won't be able to detect whether Kris, the typist, was inadvertently assigned to a task that Chris, the engineer, must do.

John

Dienstag, 15. Mai 2018 16:37
  • Ultimately, it has to be a diligence, competence and training issue. No matter how many gates and locks you build into a system, as long as there are humans involved there will always be someone who is too lazy, too careless or unaware to do it properly. Unless, of course, you have some way to prevent those people from touching the keyboard. And someone who is very meticulous and diligent to check and do the housekeeping. It's a culture thing, I guess. I find that almost no one can be bothered to even run a spell checker over the task names.
    Dienstag, 15. Mai 2018 21:59
  • Have you thought about putting all your resources in a project schedule and store the schedule in a file share.  Then using only resources from the "Resource Pool" may help with mistype names.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2018 04:09
  • Client is stating that if a end user tries to search and mistakenly types the search in the Entry text box(I don't have it open to see the real name) then that mistype search gets added to the Resource Sheet.

My approach was to create a .csv files of resources that can be admin'd on the server.  Then that gets loaded on opening the mpp to purge the mistype names OR somehow lock the Resource column from the end user to enter any data, the csv file would be the source in both cases...

Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2018 12:03
  • Chris,

Where exactly is this "search" feature for selecting resources?

Yes, you could come up with some scheme that beats the Resource Sheet against an external "master resource list" but keep in mind that if Kris and Chris are both valid resources, the audit scheme won't know whether the correct resource was assigned.

John

Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2018 13:52