Cannot Install SP1 0x80004005 - E_FAIL RRS feed

Antworten

• Yes, thats the case.  Here's the resolution:

Option 1

Windows 7 is hard coded to allow 14 filter drivers, but the following registry sets the limit to 8 by default.  You can adjust the amount up to 14 or delete this key and it will be set to max of 14.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\MaxNumFilters 

Option 2

Remove some filter driver from nacpl.cpl -->  Chose network Properties --> Select and filter --> Uninstall

**Note** Not all networking filters are listed under nacpl.cpl, so application may need to be completely uninstalled (i.e. personal firewalls)

--Joseph

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Andre.Ziegler Montag, 21. Februar 2011 16:14
    • Als Antwort markiert Khronos. _ Dienstag, 22. Februar 2011 01:37
    Montag, 21. Februar 2011 16:06

Alle Antworten

• Interesting failure:

2011-02-21 18:56:58, Error                 CSI    000006e1 (F) Done with generic command 60 (0x0000003c); CreateProcess returned 0, CPAW returned S_OK
        Process exit code 41001 (0x0000a029) resulted in success? FALSE
        Process output: [l:73 [73]"Trying to install vpcnfltr ...

..failed. Error code: 0x8004a029.

"][gle=0x80004005]

Are you doing this on a physical or virtual machine?  If you have Virtual PC running, close down all of your virtual machines and then reattempt the installation.  You might want to make sure you kill off the VPC process before you do so.  If you are running this in a virtual environment, you may want to reload the integration components on the virtual machine to make sure that they are loaded properly.

Error code: 0x8004a029 is NETCFG_E_MAX_FILTER_LIMIT, which makes me think the NIC is overloaded or improperly loaded.

--Joseph

Montag, 21. Februar 2011 14:36
  • An user posted this for VirtualPC install error:

Hi!

The problem it's because this cmd "C:\Windows\System32\netcfg.exe" -e -c s -i vpcnfltr" .

You will get an error when the update try to install a new filter when you have more than 13 on my case...Like VPN Sof, Wifi...

Solution

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4d36e974-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\

Delete Something that you don't need (Export First) - You can delete for example Virtual WiFi Filter Driver

Install Update

Restart

Remember next time you try to install some network filter you will get the same error if you have more than 13 already installed...

Can this be the same cause here? Any thoughts Joseph?

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Montag, 21. Februar 2011 14:59
  • Could be.  I'll ask one of the people on the networking team to take a look at this as well.

--Joseph

Montag, 21. Februar 2011 15:09
  •  I'll ask one of the people on the networking team to take a look at this as well.

ok, thanks :)

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Montag, 21. Februar 2011 15:58
  • Yes, thats the case.  Here's the resolution:

Option 1

Windows 7 is hard coded to allow 14 filter drivers, but the following registry sets the limit to 8 by default.  You can adjust the amount up to 14 or delete this key and it will be set to max of 14.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\MaxNumFilters 

Option 2

Remove some filter driver from nacpl.cpl -->  Chose network Properties --> Select and filter --> Uninstall

**Note** Not all networking filters are listed under nacpl.cpl, so application may need to be completely uninstalled (i.e. personal firewalls)

--Joseph

• Als Antwort markiert Khronos. _ Dienstag, 22. Februar 2011 01:37
    Montag, 21. Februar 2011 16:06
  • ok, thanks for the confirmation. You have now a new topic for a blog entry :)

André

Montag, 21. Februar 2011 16:15
  • I am also having this error but don't understand any of these replies. I can see that they are suggesting I do random things but I don't know what any of them would do so I'm going to do none of them.
    Montag, 21. Februar 2011 20:46
  • Joseph told you everything. Increase the value in the registry to 14 and try it again.

Montag, 21. Februar 2011 22:14
  • Thank you!

Increasing MaxNumFilters to 14 did the trick!

Dienstag, 22. Februar 2011 01:36