none
Database Projects for Data Warehouse.

Frage

• We are thinking of creating Database Projects for our Data Warehouse Development. If I have a large fact table, or even large Dimension and make a change, say added a column. Does VS create a drop and create statment? Would I loose all my data? Or is there a way to preserve the data for certain tables.

I guess I could generate a script for the DBA and then alter the script.  Any other insight would be appreciated on Database Projects for Data Warehouses.  Working with VS 2017.

Donnerstag, 29. März 2018 15:07

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

This forum is discussing Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor. I will move your thread to SQL Server  >   SQL Server Data Warehousing  forum to get more support about it. Thank you for the understanding.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Freitag, 30. März 2018 09:47
  • If you use SSDT and DacPac deployments it will handle your changes fine and you will not lose any data.  However, I highly recommend adding new fields to the end of a table.  If you add it to the middle, the deployment will create a  temp table in the new format, move all the old data to the new table, drop old table, rename temp table to old name.  This is very time consuming.  If you simply add it to the end, it will just alter the table.

Freitag, 30. März 2018 12:40