none
Difference between Authenticated Users and Domain Computers Security Filter when installing Flash and Java

Frage

• Hi

I am installing Flash and Java through Group Policy using MSI's. I was wondering what is the difference between Security Filtering groups.

If I install some software, settings in GPO goes to Computer Configuration. So what if I use in this case Security Filtering so that the filtering enables Domain Computers instead of Authenticated Users? I believe this would install Flash and Java to computer so that it is in use of any user who log's on to that machine?

What is the difference in the installation between these two?

Freitag, 13. Juni 2014 06:19

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

For example, if you want only a subset of users within an OU to receive a GPO, remove the Authenticated Users from Security Filtering. Instead, add a new group with Security Filtering permissions that contains the subset of users who are to receive the GPO. Only members of this group that are within the site, domain, or OU where the GPO is linked receive the GPO; members of the group in other sites, domains, or OUs do not receive the GPO.

FYI
    Security Filtering permissions - In order for a GPO to apply to a given user or computer, that user or computer must have both Read and Apply Group Policy permissions on the GPO.

Checkout the below link for technet article on Security Filtering in GPO,
    Using Security Filtering to Apply GPOs to Selected Groups

Regards,
    Gopi
    JiJi Technologies

Freitag, 13. Juni 2014 07:33
  • I understand the meaning of Security Filtering but what I was asking is that what is the difference between Authenticated Users and Domain Computers in Security Filtering in context of installing Flash and Java software?

How will the installation of Java and Flash differ with these Security Filter groups?

Freitag, 13. Juni 2014 09:31
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

By default  "Authenticated Users" includes "Domain Computers" group in there. 
    So no need to tweak the security settings at all. They're fine this way. 

Checkout the below thread on similar discussion,
    http://help.wugnet.com/windows2/Security-Filtering-Group-Default-Domain-Policy-ftopict519036.html

Regards,
    Gopi
    JiJi Technologies

Freitag, 13. Juni 2014 11:36
  • Authenticated Users does indeed include Domain Computers group but what if I still use Domain Computers group in Security Filtering instead of Authenticated Users? Will the end result be the same? Are there some differences in how installation process goes? And are there some differences on the usage when Domain Computers group is used in Security Filtering?
    Freitag, 13. Juni 2014 13:26
  • Holy thread resurrection Batman! 

While the end result will be the same, I think using Domain Computers on a workstation policy is a better practice than Authenticated Users. 

I would think (this may be wrong though...) that there may be some differences in efficiency in evaluating the policy if it has to check through all Authenticated Users (which include computers) vs just checking through Domain Computers. While the processing generally happens pretty quickly, on a large domain it may make a difference.

Donnerstag, 26. April 2018 14:26
  • From a security perspective Domain Computers is more secure than Authenticated Users because Authenticated Users include users and computers from trusted domains too.

In term of usage in your case the result will be same

Best Regards,

Donnerstag, 26. April 2018 14:52
  • Feel free to tell us if the information was usefull

Best Regards,

Donnerstag, 17. Mai 2018 16:32