none
MS Project 2010 Opens Blank

Frage

• I have a 2010 Project Pro file I've been working on, in the same location on my hard drive, and all was fine with it on Friday. When I try opening it now it just opens a blank file with no content. It also doesn't display the file name at the top and instead shows "project1". Searching the internet I've seen other people with similar issues, one resource said to go to view and select 'arrange all' and their data then showed, didn't work for me. I've tried different views, there's no data anywhere in the file that opens and there's no error message displayed when I try to open my file. I've tried making a copy and renaming it, doesn't help. I've opened other project schedules with no issues, just not my most current file. Is there anything I can do to restore my last saved file? I did retrieve a backup version however that still has lost a days worth of work.

Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions to help.

Montag, 16. April 2012 15:07

Antworten

• WOW - here's what I just did and I was able to get it back.

Double click and open the file. You'll see the blank window.

Now go to recent - and I pressed SHIFT and opened another project file that I was working on - was able to view that.

NOW go back and do the same on your other file that's not displaying correctly - it'll work this time. At least it did for me just now! -

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen pm-help Donnerstag, 19. April 2012 05:08
    • Als Antwort markiert SheriVA Freitag, 20. April 2012 01:27
    Donnerstag, 19. April 2012 05:08
  • SheriVA --

It sounds like the project file has become corrupted somehow, but I am surprised that you do not see an error dialog of any kind when you try to open the project.  I am thankful that you were able to retrieve a backup of this file as I believe that is the only way to get a working copy of the file.  I realize that you have lost a days worth of work, but that is a small price to pay compared to losing the file entirely.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Als Antwort markiert SheriVA Montag, 16. April 2012 18:53
    Montag, 16. April 2012 15:40

Alle Antworten

• SheriVA --

It sounds like the project file has become corrupted somehow, but I am surprised that you do not see an error dialog of any kind when you try to open the project.  I am thankful that you were able to retrieve a backup of this file as I believe that is the only way to get a working copy of the file.  I realize that you have lost a days worth of work, but that is a small price to pay compared to losing the file entirely.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

• Als Antwort markiert SheriVA Montag, 16. April 2012 18:53
    Montag, 16. April 2012 15:40
  • SheriVA,

Dale may be correct but let's explore something else. In it's default mode Project will open a blank file called "project1" when the application is first started, unless you have specifically designated through the options for Project to open your last saved file (File/Options/Advanced/General options). It may be buried a ways down the list but do you see your file in the list when you hit "Recent" or "Open"?

It may be possible that you inadvertently set the option to save in Project template format (File/Options/Save), in which case your file may be saved in the template directory instead of the normal locations.

John

Montag, 16. April 2012 15:52
  • Did you try to open it by double clicking on the file itself or by opening Project and then going to File | Open?

whichever one it was try the other. In the past sometimes one would work but not the other. It has been a long time since I have seen this but it is worth a shot.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Montag, 16. April 2012 16:08
  • Thank you both for the response however I'm guessing it's corrupt with no error.  John I did try opening via my recent files as it just spins like it's opening however then nothing.  I even closed 'project1' so no projects were open and still nothing come up. Here's my view post trying to open from recent:

Montag, 16. April 2012 16:08
  • Doesn't matter how I open - I get the same result. However I have realized playing with a previous version (Screenshot from old version below) when I open the file I get a security warning about macros

I enable the macros out of habit. The original schedule is one that I did inherit. I've gone to view macros and see the following 3 within my file - not sure how they got in here or if they're default? However I created a new project schedule and saved with same sample data and I don't see the macros in a new file. Is this potentially what caused my issue and does this shed any light on how to retrieve?

Montag, 16. April 2012 16:23
  • SheriVA,

I've personally never had an issue with nefarious macros so I always enable macros if and when they are attached. You say you inherited the file. In all likelihood the person who gave you the file created the macros to improve functionality, probably by recording them rather than developing them separately with the VB editor.

If the macros existed in the file when it was working I don't see any way they would have an adverse impact on you being able to open you file today. If you do a search on your hard drive for the latest version of the file and cannot find it then you are probably out of luck and will have to start over with the latest saved version that does work. If you can locate your later file, go to the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and try method 4 of FAQ 43 - handling project file corruption and/or bloat.

John

Montag, 16. April 2012 17:03
  • SheriVA --

It just occurred to me that one of those macros might be an AutoRun macro that would run and then close the file automatically after you attempted to open it.  Try this to see if you can possibly open the most recent copy of the file that refuses to open:

1.  Click File > Open.
    2.  In the Open dialog, navigate to the folder where you have the project that will not open.
    3.  Press and hold the SHIFT key on your computer keyboard.
    4.  Select the file in question and click the Open button (remember to keep pressing the SHIFT key until the file actually opens).

If you are able to successfully open the project, you can click File > Organizer > Modules and delete the offending macros.  If this does not help, then at least we tried one more avenue that doesn�??t work!  :)

Let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Montag, 16. April 2012 18:45
  • No luck Dale - I thank you for continuing to try think of ways to help though!
    Montag, 16. April 2012 18:52
  • Shucks!  I thought we were onto something there.  :(

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Montag, 16. April 2012 20:05
  • OMG - I'm having the exact same issue - can anyone help please ?

Ron!

Donnerstag, 19. April 2012 05:04

Now go to recent - and I pressed SHIFT and opened another project file that I was working on - was able to view that.

NOW go back and do the same on your other file that's not displaying correctly - it'll work this time. At least it did for me just now! -

Thanks

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen pm-help Donnerstag, 19. April 2012 05:08
    • Als Antwort markiert SheriVA Freitag, 20. April 2012 01:27
    Donnerstag, 19. April 2012 05:08
  • pm-help --

You are a computer genius, my friend!  Perhaps your trick will work for the other user as well.  Thanks for sharing.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Donnerstag, 19. April 2012 12:26
  • You are a genius! That actually worked. Too bad it's 2 days late and I already recreated my lost changes, however truly great to know if it happens again and I'm sure helpful for others! Thanks for posting your fix.
    Freitag, 20. April 2012 01:30

Thanks

This worked for me, too.  Thanks to whomever posted this.  Not sure how to permanently resolve, though.
    Sonntag, 23. September 2012 01:11
  • Yes I did see this issue in past...U did a gud job of posting this answer Sheri...I struggled lil bit to explore this myself...glad u did..
    Sonntag, 20. Oktober 2013 22:22
  • I had this issue and found this thread, then broke it again and found a MUCH easier solution. Click the "View" tab, then click the "Arrange All" button. 

Cheers,

~Chris

Mittwoch, 9. Juli 2014 22:27
  • This really works! 
    Dienstag, 14. April 2015 16:09
  • 1st step - Go to View Tab & click Gantt Chart under the Gantt Chart Menu

2nd step - Under the Gantt Chart Menu click Reset to default

This has to work

Rameshchandra C Keni (PMP)

RCKeni

Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2015 15:14
  • I have seen this recently and found that MS Project is opening with the project minimized within the application.

If you go to the 'View' tab on the ribbon and in the windows section of the ribbon select 'Arrange All' it should bring these back up!

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Oliver_UK Dienstag, 16. August 2016 10:38
    Dienstag, 16. August 2016 10:38
  • Dear pm-help,

thank you very much for your answer! It really saved my life!

To be clear for other readers:

• I had exactly the same issue reported by SheriVA, i.e., opening an mpp file, which was fine until last session, but it only displayed a blank window. I noticed that the file was open but no matter which view I selected, nothing was seen.
    • Following pm-help suggestion, I simply opened another mpp, which was displayed properly.
    • On the Windows Task Bar I could see then two buttons for MS Project, one for each open project. I clicked then on the button for the mpp that had the problem and it displayed normally again.

Thank you for the question SheriVa and many thanks to pm-help again for the simple solution!

Samstag, 24. Juni 2017 09:58
  • Yess it works for me Thanks a lot
    Montag, 28. August 2017 06:38
  • This was exactly my issue, Oliver_UK. Thanks for taking the time to post this solution!
    • Bearbeitet MikeAnto Dienstag, 6. Februar 2018 14:43
    Dienstag, 6. Februar 2018 14:43
  • WOW is right.  I was having the same issue and I did what you recommended and it worked for me too.  I don't know why, but I am thankful.
    Dienstag, 5. Juni 2018 00:30