none
Modifying the Phone Call Activity RRS feed

• Frage

• Hello All,

I have been busily customising our CRM deployment with some help from people on this forum, thank you all who have offered advice so far.

My next question comes as a result of the first live trials of CRM in a production environment. We have rolled the new system out to a limited number of test users to work from and provide feedback.

Quite a bit of our effort on the CRM deployment has to do with our telemarketing team. The phone call entity and form are customised in a similar way to the suggestions in Guy Riddle's blog and that is working well. The telemarketers are asking for more of the account fields to be exposed on the Phone Call form. Their task is to gather specific info about each account and they are opening the account form (by clicking on the name in Regarding) for every call.

I am a bit hesitant to load up the Phone Call form with Account fields, but at the same time I can see it saving the telemarketers time and clicks - which is the business goal... I also recognise that this type of modification to the Phone Call entity may make it less intuitive for the sales or service teams who are making calls regarding opportunities and cases.

I would appreciate any advice on how to achieve a nice single screen phone call for the telemarketers while not bogging down the rest of the business with irrelevant data on their phone call form.

Many thanks,
    Jason
    Montag, 14. September 2009 07:58

Antworten

• Hello Jason,

i have had nealy the same problems like you, but with leads. When you create phone calls via quick campaigns, the regarding object in the phonecall is the quickcampaign. And the receipant is the lead (or account in your case). If my user wants to make the call, the must click twice. First in the phonecall table list to open the phonecall detail dialogue and second in the recipant field to open the lead.

My way: Create some additional fields in the phonecall entity and fill it via plugin with data from the receipant (Lead or account or contact etc.)  You can create new views and show the additional field (company, phonenumber etc)  in the phonecall overview. Make the views private for the telemarketing team. Nobody else should be disturbed, if you don't change the standard views.

Herzliche Grüße Markus Müller
    Montag, 14. September 2009 11:31
  • Hello Jason,
    my client need a solution for lead management. The telemarketing team for leads can see the phone calls in their activity overview. But they are missing the lead information about the company and the direct phone number in the overview. With leads, we have  no problems with "slowly changing" data and we fill the data when we create the phone call activity.  It's correct that some information is stored twice - but we are talking in my case about 2 fields (Company, PhoneNumber). The form of the entity phonecall was modified, we have added a tab for the lead management. And you can create a (private) view for the phonecall. The telemarketing team use this (private) view to see more information about the lead.  Every other CRM-User use the normal activity view - only the telemarketing team changes the view in the morning.

Kind regards
    Markus

Dienstag, 15. September 2009 07:57

Alle Antworten

• Hello Jason,

i have had nealy the same problems like you, but with leads. When you create phone calls via quick campaigns, the regarding object in the phonecall is the quickcampaign. And the receipant is the lead (or account in your case). If my user wants to make the call, the must click twice. First in the phonecall table list to open the phonecall detail dialogue and second in the recipant field to open the lead.

My way: Create some additional fields in the phonecall entity and fill it via plugin with data from the receipant (Lead or account or contact etc.)  You can create new views and show the additional field (company, phonenumber etc)  in the phonecall overview. Make the views private for the telemarketing team. Nobody else should be disturbed, if you don't change the standard views.

Montag, 14. September 2009 11:31
  • Hi Markus,

Thanks for your reply. So are you suggesting build a new form (i.e. view) of the phone call entity that only the telemarketers would see? That sounds like a pretty good idea, but am I going to be storing the data twice? Once on account and once on phonecall?

Ideally the phonecall would pull the data from the recipient record when the phone call so that the info would be up to date with current data on each call. We have multiple telemarketers talking to multiple contacts from an account so it is likely there will be new information since the phone call record was created.

I haven't done any plugin programming yet but I've written a few basic apps in C# Express 2008.

Thanks again,
    Jason
    Dienstag, 15. September 2009 03:53
  • Hello Jason,
    my client need a solution for lead management. The telemarketing team for leads can see the phone calls in their activity overview. But they are missing the lead information about the company and the direct phone number in the overview. With leads, we have  no problems with "slowly changing" data and we fill the data when we create the phone call activity.  It's correct that some information is stored twice - but we are talking in my case about 2 fields (Company, PhoneNumber). The form of the entity phonecall was modified, we have added a tab for the lead management. And you can create a (private) view for the phonecall. The telemarketing team use this (private) view to see more information about the lead.  Every other CRM-User use the normal activity view - only the telemarketing team changes the view in the morning.

Kind regards
    Markus

Dienstag, 15. September 2009 07:57
  • Hi Markus,

I'm talking about 20 or so fields here... I would also need to have the account information shown on the phonecall updated when the phonecall is opened to ensure that it is current.

Coming at this a different way: What if I were to create a custom view of the account showing the fields of concern, and then iFrame it in a custom view of the phonecall? That might eliminate the stale info problem as well as the duplicate data issue.

I haven't worked with custom views before so I'm interested if you think this approach is practical.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Dienstag, 15. September 2009 23:15