none
1803 Windows app privacy permissions via Group Policy

Frage

• Hello, 

We are using the GPO settings under Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Privacy to control access of Windows store apps use of various system resources such as the Microphone (Policy Name: "Let Windows apps access the microphone"). 

Since the 1803 update, if we enable a policy to control the camera or microphone it impacts all other (non-store) applications installed to the system, such as Skype for Business. This behavior is different to 1709 which allows control of the store apps (even on an individual basis), but leaves the other non-store applications without restriction.

How can we configure this setting without impacting non-store applications installed to each system? 

Steps to recreate the issue (assuming a built in mic to the system):

1. Update to 1803
    2. Configure the Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Privacy > Let Windows apps access the microphone policy and set to Enabled with Force Deny as the default. 
    3. Open the Sound settings control panel. You will see no levels.
    4. Open a non-store application and test (e.g. Skype for Business). 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Montag, 14. Mai 2018 14:28

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Dienstag, 15. Mai 2018 13:46
  • Hi,

The following worked for me (for the camera only) :

1. Update your *.admx files according to your Windows version (1803)
      https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=56880
    2. Go under Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Camera and set Allow the use of camera to Enabled

You should now be able to use camera on softwares.
    I am searching for the policy to activate the mic for the moment but I still can't find it...

Alexandre

Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2018 09:28
  • Many thanks for this suggestion, Alexandre. Unfortunately in my test enabling the camera with the Windows Components > Camera setting didn't work to enable the camera when the Windows Components > App Privacy > Let Windows apps access the microphone setting is also configured with Force Deny.

When the App Privacy policy is configured the settings page shows as the screenshot below. I would expect the "Allow apps to access your camera" to be unavailable/greyed out, but not the setting "Allow access to the camera on this device"  (which in my testing affects all applications, not just store apps).

Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2018 13:17
  • I'm finaly having the same issue on my side, my bad...
    I think both settings are not compatible at the moment.

I'll, for the moment, allow camera/micro access for the whole system to let softwares access them, and block the access app per app.

• Camera access for the device will be turned on
    • Allow apps to access your camera will aso be turned on
    • But every apps will be turned off without possibily to the user to change these tick boxes.
    Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2018 14:27
  • Here you can see the result for me on my camera setting.

Both boxes are displayed grey, camera is activated on my device, also for application.
    As you can see I just deactivated app per app on the gpo parameters to force the camera deactivation.
    Apps cannot be activated back by the user, of course.

Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2018 15:20
  • Hi William,

Any progress with the research here? I'm fairly certain that the change in behavior for these App privacy settings in 1803 is not intended to impact Win32 applications. 

Thanks

Mittwoch, 6. Juni 2018 19:49
  • Having the same issue.

Also did not expect the 'app privacy' section to impact regular desktop applications.

This can't be intended behaviour.

If you don't stand for something. You will fall for anything.

Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2018 12:28