none
Project Manager

Frage

• Ok, sorry for the VERY late arrival to this conversation.  Reading throw the thread, A. made my head hurt, maybe I need a cup of coffee and re-read, and B. Still doesn't make sense to me.  How are you to show in reporting where you are a head of the game or behind the game if your Actual and Predicted start/finish dates update to the same date?  

I would like to be able to show management (agile environment) where discovery and or development is ahead of schedule or falling behind where we planned. I don't see a way to do this is my dates link to one another.

Thoughts, is there another way of showing this that I am not thinking of?

Thanks,

Kevin

Dienstag, 8. Mai 2018 11:41

Alle Antworten

• Kevin --

After you complete your project planning and you are ready to go live with the project, you need to save a Baseline for the project.  The Baseline will capture the initial Start date, Finish date, Duration, Work, and Cost on every task in the schedule.  When you begin tracking actual progress, I recommend you use the Tracking table for this purpose.  In the Tracking table, you can enter Actual Start dates and Actual Finish dates for each task, as well as either the % Complete or the Actual Work on each task.

To show that the project is ahead of schedule, you should apply the Tracking Gantt view.  In this view, the red Gantt bars are Critical tasks, the blue Gantt bars are non-Critical tasks, and the gray Gantt bars represent the original Baseline schedule for each task.  If a red or blue Gantt bar is to the LEFT of its gray Gantt bar, the task is early.  If a red or blue Gantt bar is to the RIGHT of its gray Gantt bar, the task is slipping (late).  To determine how early (or late) a task is, apply the Variance table and then study the Start Variance and Finish Variance columns.  If the values in either column are negative, the tasks are early.  If the values are positive, the tasks are late.

Does that help?  Let us know.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Dienstag, 8. Mai 2018 13:05
  • The way that MSP replaces a scheduled date with an actual date when there is one does make sense.

A task has a scheduled date until it has an actual, then it has an actual.

Apart from saving a baseline, always recommended, it is always a good idea to save incremental versions of the file, with the date/time in the file name, as you make changes, whether they are changes to the plan or the progress updates at successive status dates. So, as the plan develops. you end up with the saved history of its evolution and can refer back to it as at some date.

Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 07:59