none
MS Project 2013/16 auto reschedule of tasks around resource calendar exceptions

Frage

• Hello,

With MS Project 2013/16, I've noticed that tasks are auto rescheduled around resource calendar exceptions.  For example, a 10-day, 80h task assigned to resource Bob.  Bob's resource calendar is then updated with a one-week vacation during the 2nd week.  Project reschedules the finish date to the 3rd Friday.  I have been using Project for years and cannot refrain from expecting the tasks to NOT be rescheduled but instead a red, task inspector icon to appear.  The reason is that this would ALLOW the project manager to consider reassigning the task to someone else and hold the original dates versus auto rescheduling.  A variant of this would be if I modify the resource's availability using the lower-left resource availability table on the Resource Details screen.  If I make someone 0% until a certain date, Project DOES NOT reschedule the task in that event, and flags the over-allocation.

I could have sworn that BOTH situations always flagged the over-allocation and allowed the project manager to intervene.  Maybe a setting has been set/unset that I haven't seen yet.  Again my expectation is that Project does not auto-reschedule the tasks.  Thoughts?

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 12:09

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

I am sorry to tell: Calendar Exceptions are always causing a re-scheduling - and had always done.

Regards
    Barbara

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 15:44
  • clementes_arm,

I don't remember the behavior of earlier versions, but the behavior you describe appears quite normal to me with no significant change from Project 2010 to 2016.

There is a distinction between a resource calendar exception and a gap in the resource availability grid. 

The first (resource calendar exception) keeps the prior schedule and generates an over-allocation alert for Bob's vacation ONLY if he's assigned to a task that has a Task Calendar with "Scheduling ignores resource calendars" checked.  Without an over-riding Task Calendar, the non-work time of Bob's Resource calendar takes precedence over the Project Calendar, and the task is quietly re-scheduled.

The second (resource availability gap) keeps the prior schedule and generates an over-allocation alert for Bob's vacation in any case.

In both situations, Project will offer to automatically remove the over-allocation by manipulating the assignment's time-phased details - i.e. delaying the work until the resource is available.  Using calendar exceptions seems a bit more robust than the resource availability grid for this and other purposes.  I avoid the latter.   

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 16:31