none
Mixed resource allocations on same task pushing duration out further than I want based on smallest resource allocation

Frage

• I swear I've hit this issue before, but I haven't been able to find the right word to google or figure out the right MSP workaround.

Example: Single task has two resources - Resource A (80%) and Resource B (80%). Duration is currently calculated at 2w. I find out that I really only have Resource B at 40%, so I change Resource B's allocation down to 40%. Microsoft Project pushes duration out to 4w (instead of 3w). I'm guessing MSP thinks that half of the work HAS to be done by Resource B and Resource B is limited to only working 40%.

I want to keep both resources busy to the end of the task and not necessarily split the work down the middle. (Ex I want task to end at 3w with Resource A working 80% and Resource B working 40%). Can you remind me how I fix this? Is there a magic calculation setting in options that I'm forgetting?  (I'm using fixed Work in case that's part of the mix). THANKS!

Donnerstag, 17. Mai 2018 17:34

Antworten

• I think I just figured it out. I was trying to change resource b in resources screen from 80% directly to 40%.  

I found that if I deleted Resource B entirely, pressed enter (to recalc), then came back in and added the smaller Resource B with 40%, MSP would handle how I wanted it to.

Hope this saves someone a few minutes.

Donnerstag, 17. Mai 2018 17:54

Alle Antworten

• I think I just figured it out. I was trying to change resource b in resources screen from 80% directly to 40%.  

I found that if I deleted Resource B entirely, pressed enter (to recalc), then came back in and added the smaller Resource B with 40%, MSP would handle how I wanted it to.

Hope this saves someone a few minutes.

Donnerstag, 17. Mai 2018 17:54
  • If you had set the task type to fixed duration before making the change, you could have made the change and preserved the duration.
    Donnerstag, 17. Mai 2018 22:06