none
Log files for patches/MSU files?

Frage

• Hi all,

With previous XP/2K/NT4 hotfixes they either left a log behind or you could use a switch to specify a logfile.

Anybody know of anything similar for the Vista hotfixes? I can only find a single entry in the eventlog - not very great for debugging installs or trying to find out what's really going on....

The command line installer only seems to accept /quiet /norestart /h and /?. I hope this isn't the shape of things to come.

Pointers appreciated!

Cheers,
    Mike
    Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2007 10:38

Alle Antworten

• Please refer to the following document.

Description of the Windows Update Stand-alone Installer (Wusa.exe) and of .msu files in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934307

Donnerstag, 29. November 2007 00:28
  • Thanks for the article, but it really fails to address anything that I asked :-(

My question was:

"With previous XP/2K/NT4 hotfixes they either left a log behind or you could use a switch to specify a logfile. Anybody know of anything similar for the Vista hotfixes? I can only find a single entry in the eventlog - not very great for debugging installs or trying to find out what's really going on...."

Your answer just describes how to use WUSA. There is no mention of seperate log files within the referenced article (only the single event log details which I had already stated) ...

Cheers,
    Mike
    Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2007 11:07
  •  

What are you looking for in the logs? If you want a high-level view of the install itself, "Windows Update" has a section - view update history which should be helpful. If you're looking for more in-depth information on what installs fail, take a look at c:\windows\logs\CBS which has a CBS.log. This will have information on whether the MSU you're trying to install succeeded or failed and full details about it.
    Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2007 20:02
  • I'm not looking for anything in particular - yet. Currently on W2k & XP systems, when patches fail to install (yes, it *does* happen), then I get the helpdesk to mail me the patch logfile from that machine so I can figure out what went wrong.

Nice and easy.

Now with Vista, things seem to have become much more difficult :-(. Retrieving and emailing a single, specific, relevant logfile is very easy. Getting a user to describe the Windows Update History is a pain, as is getting a massive consolidated logfile.

All I want is a logfile for a patch install. It happened with NT2. W2K. XP.... but so far it would appear that this exceedingly useful facility appears to have been removed.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2007 21:54
  • Try this:

PATCH.msu /log:"<path>/myfile.log"

I hope this helps!

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Tony.Dejesus Donnerstag, 27. April 2017 19:28
    Donnerstag, 27. April 2017 17:04