none
Automating the DPM mailbox restore with Powershell

Frage

1. System Center 2016 - Using DPM PowerShell to automate the procedure to allow Users to  perform their own mailbox restore.    
    2. Can this procedure be performed using only PS commands?
    3. Has this been done before and do you see any problems doing this automation?
    Freitag, 18. Mai 2018 08:15

Antworten

• It depends on your company’s policies I guess, granting a normal user access gives him permission to both backup and recover. Backing up itself should be quite safe but when recovering there is possible for high risks. Do note that they can recover all data that is backed up in DPM, it may or may not be sensitive data, Kind regards, Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

• Als Antwort markiert PeterCCS Montag, 21. Mai 2018 03:50
    Montag, 21. Mai 2018 03:45

Alle Antworten

• Hi!

You can restore a Exchange mailbox with the DPM PowerShell by making use of the commands below:

Get-DPMRecoverableItem

The Get-DPMRecoverableItem cmdlet gets a list of recoverable items in a recovery point for System Center 2016 - Data Protection Manager (DPM). The recoverable items based on source are as follows:

File system: Files and folders
    Microsoft Exchange Server: Storage groups, databases, and mailboxes
    Microsoft SQL Server: Databases
    Microsoft SharePoint: Sites, databases, and documents
    Virtual Machines
    A DPM server
    System state of a protected computer

Restore-DPMRecoverableItem

The Restore-DPMRecoverableItem cmdlet recovers a point in time version of a recoverable item to the target location. A recoverable item is a data source or a child recoverable item in a data source.

I have not done anything like this myself, but since this is PowerShell it should be possible to automate this.

If you want to give users this permission, they will need to have permission to the DPM.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Freitag, 18. Mai 2018 09:39
  • Thanks Leon,

Do you see any risk in giving users DPM permission?

Cheers,

Peter.

Montag, 21. Mai 2018 02:59
  • It depends on your company’s policies I guess, granting a normal user access gives him permission to both backup and recover. Backing up itself should be quite safe but when recovering there is possible for high risks. Do note that they can recover all data that is backed up in DPM, it may or may not be sensitive data, Kind regards, Leon

• Als Antwort markiert PeterCCS Montag, 21. Mai 2018 03:50
    Montag, 21. Mai 2018 03:45
  • When the run PS commands for retrieving the Restore Points, how would this be displayed to the user?

Note that he user will be accessing this via a Web Portal so the displayed info should be not too complicated so the user can select and follow procedure to perform the restore mailbox.

Thanks.

Peter

Montag, 21. Mai 2018 08:29