No network connection after auto update / Windows Web Server 2008 RRS feed

  • Frage

  • Hi there!

    this is really urgent - after the server installed some auto updates, there is no network connectivity anymore.

    The "initial config tasks" window shows "loading..." for every field forever.

    When I open the network connections, the window keeps loading and stays blank. Network adapters are installed, but the tray icon of it shows a red X.

    The Network Diagnostics and Repair can't start, because it says that I have to start the Diagnostics Service (forgot the actual name, but found it in the services list) first. But that service can't be started manually, the process just keeps trying to start without success.


    When I start windows normally, open the Control Panel > Software > Installed Updates, it keeps loading, not displaying anything in the list.

    I restarted in Safe Mode, opened CP > Software > Inst Updates it showed a list of 5-6 recent updates that I removed.

    Restarting showed the screen "stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete" for like 2-3 hours, finally restarted, but I still have the same issues and the "installed updates" list won't show.


    Since the update, when I shut down the server the "Shutting down Group Policy Client service ..." takes about 10 mins to finish.


    I really don't know what to do, any help is much appreciated!


    Thanks a lot!



    PS. Sorry, das ist hier ja das deutsche Forum, soll ich's umschreiben? Antworten in Deutsch sind natürlich willkommen.

    Dienstag, 19. April 2011 06:55


  • Problem solved!

    If anyone ever needs this info, here is what I did (basically):


    1. Press F8 at boot and boot in safe mode or with "last known good configuration". If you got boot problems (e.g. "stage 3 of 3 - 0% finished") boot from a rescue system or the Windows installation disk.

    2. Uninstall the last suspicious updates

    3. DISABLE WINDOWS UPDATE, either by opening the config panel > windows update > settings > never check for updates automatically or simply by stopping the service.

    4. Create a new regkey under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP Multi-string Value named "DependOnService" with value  "CRYPTSVC" (without the quotes of course).

    5. Run scf /scannow

    6. Rename the file C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml to pending.xml.bak. Delete the regkeys: HLKM\Offline Components\AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving, HKLM\Offline Components\PendingXmlIdentifier. If you can only access this from a rescue OS, then open regedit, click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE right click "load hive" > C:\windows\system32\config\components, type any name to add the hive. 

    7 Maybe check this:

    8. Restart and start scf /scannow again

    9. Check and analyze error reports


    If you are lucky, maybe these are alternative ways you can try:

    - Reinitialize the windows installation and setup a fresh OS

    - Use wbadmin.exe (command line util or GUI) to recover, if you made backups


    • Als Antwort markiert justmemanuel Freitag, 22. April 2011 21:11
    Freitag, 22. April 2011 21:01