none
Creating an Org Chart from Active Directory? Can't get it to work.

Frage

• Hi,

We're trying to see if we can use Visio to create our Org Chart based on information we have setup in AD.  I have gone in and assigned Managers to a bunch of our users as a test.  The information is working because I can navigate the org chart in Teams.  I just need a way to print it out and/or save it as a PDF.

We went through the Org Chart wizard in Visio and chose the option for Exchange Server Directory which seems to be the right option.  On the next screen we had to pick who we wanted as the top level so we chose the CEO.  We then got a prompt stating that our Organization data contains 1 entry that is not in the organization.  Do we want to include it.

If we choose No, we just get a blank page.  If we choose Yes, we get a page with just the CEO.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there some other way to have an org chart generated automatically from the data in AD?

Thanks.

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 13:26

Alle Antworten

• I did something similar years ago, which I describe in the Wiki article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/30104.document-your-active-directory-organization.aspx

There are links to the script I used to document the organization described by the manager and directReports attributes in AD. My script first looks for people with directReports but no manager. These people are at the top of an organization (there could be more than one). There is also a link to an article on using Visio to make a chart from the output of the script. I used that to make charts.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 20:35
  • I'll investigate your script but isn't Visio supposed to do this all on its own when I choose the Exchange Directory option?  Or maybe I"m just misunderstanding how it's supposed to work.

I'm not roped into using Visio.  Is there anything else in the Office or O365 suite that can generate org charts directly form the AD information?  Teams has an Organization tab that reads in the information from AD but it can't print or save a full org chart for our entire organization.  We currently use OrgChart 8 but it's update manually so we were just looking for something that can work automatically from AD.

Thanks!

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 20:41
  • Sorry, I don't know of any apps that create a chart automatically from AD. And the version of Visio I used was 2013 Professional.

Also, the chart for a large organization, maybe hundreds of people, could quickly get very large.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 20:45
  • Hi Kelemvor,

Are you using multiple email accounts in Outlook and using Cached mode for Exchange account? There are some cached directory entries when you create Org Chart from Exchange directory.

I suggest you can try to create a new Outlook profile and only setup your Exchange account to check if you can create Org Chart properly. To create a new Outlook profile, please follow:

Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add, then setup this Exchange account in new profile. Set "When starting Microsoft Outlook, use this profile: Prompt for a profile to be used". 

Open Outlook with new profile, create Org Chart in Visio to have a try.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Freitag, 29. Juni 2018 03:34
  • I'll check with the admin who's working on this.  We do use Cached mode since that's the default in Outlook but I don't know if she uses multiple emails.
    Freitag, 29. Juni 2018 13:19
  • I'll check with the admin who's working on this.  We do use Cached mode since that's the default in Outlook but I don't know if she uses multiple emails.
    Any updates on the issue?

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Montag, 2. Juli 2018 07:43

Any updates on the issue?

I was working a script last week and forgot to try the Outlook settings.  I'm off this week so can't try it again until next week.  :(

Thanks.

Montag, 2. Juli 2018 13:28
  • Ok. Feel free to let me know if you need further help.

If my reply is helpful and fixed the issue, please remember to mark it as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thanks for your understanding. Have a nice day :)

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Dienstag, 3. Juli 2018 02:04