none
Not able to connect to Remote Distributor from Publisher using Administrative Link Password

Antworten

• Right click on the replication option in your database instance where you have configured your distributor, and go to distributor properties. Go to(click) the publisher option on the left side panel. You will see the place where you need to specify a password for your publisher. Change the password and try once more. I think ur problem will be solved.

Dienstag, 29. Januar 2008 06:37

Alle Antworten

• Right click on the replication option in your database instance where you have configured your distributor, and go to distributor properties. Go to(click) the publisher option on the left side panel. You will see the place where you need to specify a password for your publisher. Change the password and try once more. I think ur problem will be solved.

Dienstag, 29. Januar 2008 06:37
  • Thanks. It worked.

Freitag, 17. Oktober 2008 12:39
  • Hi

Have done the same but does'nt work me still getting the same error. Pls help. 
    Apps Dev
    Freitag, 16. Januar 2009 15:53
  • I'm getting the same problem as the poster.  Unfortunately, nothing has worked to resolve the issue.

- Changing the administrative link password (Various strong type passwords tried, nothing worked)
    - Dropping/recreating the distributor
    - Changing the 'Agent Connection to the Publisher' from Impersonation to SQL Server Auth (neither work)

Anyone else have ideas?  It used to work but the User Account that was setup to start the SQL Server Service expired.  Problems started after that.

Donnerstag, 19. Februar 2009 13:46
  • i have the same thing

distributor is build 4262 and the publisher is 3161. trying to set up a server as a publisher and it's not working
    Freitag, 6. November 2009 13:43
  • Hi, I recently encountered this problem as well. Though it is an old post, no doubt others will encounter it in the future!

I found a link where the steps taken resolved the issue.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32070626/error-21670-sql-server-c.aspx

Steps referenced:

"Error: 21670 SQL Server could not connect to the Distributor using the specified password. (Configure Distribution Wizard)
    Jim posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:05 PM

I had the same problem and here's how I resolved it.

1- Connect to the server where your distribution db resides
    2- Right click on the replication folder and select distributor
    properties.
    3- Select publishers. If you have already entered your publisher
    uncheck and select OK
    4- Add a new publisher
    5- Enter a password for the administrative link
    6- Connect to your publishing server and and create a new publication
    using the remote distributor.
    7- Enter the password you used earlier when assigning the publisher in
    the distrubution properties

If you don't put in the password when you first add the publisher it
    won't accept this password later so removing and readding with the new
    password seems to work.

good luck,
    Jim
    "

NCi DBA
    Dienstag, 8. Dezember 2009 18:10
  • i think we ended up changing the password and it took 15 minutes to change it for all the publishers
    Montag, 11. Januar 2010 17:55
  • I tried this method and am still getting the same issue.
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Deepak_manohar Donnerstag, 5. August 2010 11:54
    Donnerstag, 24. Juni 2010 20:04
  • Check if the remote access parameter in sp_configure is enabled on the Publisher. If its not enabled, enable it and restart the SQL Server service for the change to take effect.
    Donnerstag, 5. August 2010 11:57
  • Check if the remote access parameter in sp_configure is enabled on the Publisher. If its not enabled, enable it and restart the SQL Server service for the change to take effect.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187660.aspx indicates that the Remote Access Enable feature will be removed in a future realease and not to use it for production systems. Is there a work-around?
    Freitag, 10. Dezember 2010 21:00
  • Verify your linked servers is_remote_login_enabled = 1 in master.sys.servers for the server you are connecting from on the server you are connecting to. I ran into this as well in setting up a remote distributor. I also saw the error: could not connect to server because is not defined as a remote server in my error log at the distributor that I was connecting to.

I hope this helps!

Derek Stanley

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Derek Stanley Donnerstag, 30. Januar 2014 16:30
    Donnerstag, 30. Januar 2014 16:30
  • Thank you, this worked for me!!!

Mulu M

Dienstag, 13. Oktober 2015 13:01
  • Thanks a lot, I tried so many ways but at last this worked for me.
    Dienstag, 27. September 2016 06:13
  • The password for which account is referenced here?
    Dienstag, 1. Mai 2018 23:18
  • Hello Derek,

During configuration of Distribution (dedicated server) named A

I was asked to specify the password required for "B" (publisher) to establish an administrative link with the Distributor (server A)

What's password they are talking about it here?

Dienstag, 1. Mai 2018 23:22