none
Clarifications of Windows 10 Updates through WSUS

Frage

• Hi All....

Would anyone mind giving me some better understand of these Windows 10 Product Updates through WSUS

- What is the difference between Windows 10 and later drivers vs Windows 10 and later upgrade & servicing drivers?

- What is the Windows 10 Feature on Demand? 

- What is the Windows 10 GDR-DU?

- Does anyone else feel that adding the Language Packs for the different Windows O/S's are just a waste of HD space?

I appreciate any help you can give me :) 

Thanks... Frank

Mittwoch, 27. Januar 2016 16:30

Antworten

• Hi ThePrep,

>What is the difference between Windows 10 and later drivers vs Windows 10 and later upgrade & servicing drivers?

As far as I'm concerned, win10 and later drivers are related with KBs to the current win10 version; win10 and later upgrade &servicing drivers are included KBs about later win10 version and enable current win10 version to upgrade.

>What is the Windows 10 Feature on Demand?

Windows 10 Feature on Demand are Windows feature packages that can be added at any time.

>What is the Windows 10 GDR-DU?

GDR-DU: General Distribution Release. If updates are only delivered from Windows (or Microsoft) Update (including via WSUS), then all the files remain on the GDR branch.

> Does anyone else feel that adding the Language Packs for the different Windows O/S's are just a waste of HD space?

It depends on your requirements, if you don't need it, you may uncheck it.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Als Antwort markiert ThePrep Freitag, 29. Januar 2016 11:17
    Freitag, 29. Januar 2016 09:45

Alle Antworten

• Hi ThePrep,

>What is the difference between Windows 10 and later drivers vs Windows 10 and later upgrade & servicing drivers?

As far as I'm concerned, win10 and later drivers are related with KBs to the current win10 version; win10 and later upgrade &servicing drivers are included KBs about later win10 version and enable current win10 version to upgrade.

>What is the Windows 10 Feature on Demand?

Windows 10 Feature on Demand are Windows feature packages that can be added at any time.

>What is the Windows 10 GDR-DU?

GDR-DU: General Distribution Release. If updates are only delivered from Windows (or Microsoft) Update (including via WSUS), then all the files remain on the GDR branch.

> Does anyone else feel that adding the Language Packs for the different Windows O/S's are just a waste of HD space?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Als Antwort markiert ThePrep Freitag, 29. Januar 2016 11:17
    Freitag, 29. Januar 2016 09:45
  • Thanks Anne... I appreciate your explanations and reply! :) 

Thanks... Frank

Freitag, 29. Januar 2016 11:17
  • >What is the Windows 10 GDR-DU?

Here are some additional information about GDR-DU. Maybe this is helpful for you.

GDR stands for General Distribution Release Dynamic Update. A detailed description of DU can be found here: 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj618316.aspx

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Stoutner Donnerstag, 29. September 2016 21:47
    Montag, 11. April 2016 12:56
  • "win10 and later drivers are related with KBs to the current win10 version"

What 'drivers' does this mean??
    Usually one should only install HW drivers from the manufacturer not from Microsoft.

Thank you, Tom

Donnerstag, 27. April 2017 12:24
  • > Does anyone else feel that adding the Language Packs for the different Windows O/S's are just a waste of HD space?

Best Regards,

Anne

Yes, they are a waste of disk space.  They download even when the Language packs are not selected.  I have my nightly WSUS cleanup script decline them
    Dienstag, 17. Oktober 2017 01:48
  • >What is the Windows 10 GDR-DU?

I would like to know more about this GDR-DU, do I need it? My sccm wsus just broke down because of too many products selected so I had to diminish them. Previously I had all the Win10 products enabled.

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10 and MBAM.

Dienstag, 1. Januar 2019 13:56