none
Updating Progress within Columns vs Using Details Window in MSP 2010?

Frage

• I'm learning MSP 2010 and have the following question:  Is there any drawback or risk in entering update information into columns instead of using the Details window? 

For example, if I display the "Actual Start" and "% Complete" columns and enter the actual start date and then the current % complete as of the Data Date, will this accomplish the same goal as entering both sets of information into the appropriate areas in the Details window?

Thank you,

Bill

Dienstag, 5. Juni 2018 17:46

Alle Antworten

• Bill,

The Update Task form which is available from the drop down list in the "Mark on Track" option on the Task Ribbon is my preferred way to update status as you can edit several values at the same time before committing them to the plan.

Sometimes updating status in the Tracking Table can require several changes as updating one value automatically updates other values displayed in the table which may not reflect what has actually happened.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Dienstag, 5. Juni 2018 18:09
  • Ok, thanks for the tip, Dominic.  I had thought updating was recommended to be done through the Details window.

Regards,

Bill

Dienstag, 5. Juni 2018 20:18
  • Bill,

Simple answer, yes.

John

Dienstag, 5. Juni 2018 20:28
  • I think it is also better to use the tracking table rather than just inserting a couple of its columns into the entry table.

Be careful about entering % complete. Better to input actual start and actual duration (or actual finish if the task is not yet actually finished).

Mittwoch, 6. Juni 2018 02:02