none
How to set default font in Visio 2016

Frage

• How do you set a default font in Visio 2016 that is the default when you open up a new document? Can't seem to figure it out
    Mittwoch, 23. Dezember 2015 15:51

Antworten

• Hi,

As far as I know, there has no method to change the default font directly in Visio. The font is defined in their master shape' which is stored in their stencil. Thus, there are two workarounds:

1) Edit the mast shape

• Right-click the stencil that contains the shape(s) you want to edit, click Save As and give the stencil a useful name.
    • Now the stencil is editable, woohoo! Right-click the shape whose defaults you want to change, select Edit master → Edit Master Shape and edit away.

2) Create a new theme/styles :

You can edit the styles for a document, which will change the look of your Gantt shapes in a central fashion, but on a per-document basis.

Once you change the styles, you can save your document as a new template (.vst) and start from there each time.

To edit styles, do this:

1. Go to the Tools > Options > Advanced menu
    2. Check Run in developer mode
    3. Now go to: Format > Define Styles
    4. You can edit styles here

To find out which styles are applied to a shape, select the shape, then go to Format > Style

Hope it's helpful.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Donnerstag, 24. Dezember 2015 01:20

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

As far as I know, there has no method to change the default font directly in Visio. The font is defined in their master shape' which is stored in their stencil. Thus, there are two workarounds:

1) Edit the mast shape

• Right-click the stencil that contains the shape(s) you want to edit, click Save As and give the stencil a useful name.
    • Now the stencil is editable, woohoo! Right-click the shape whose defaults you want to change, select Edit master → Edit Master Shape and edit away.

2) Create a new theme/styles :

You can edit the styles for a document, which will change the look of your Gantt shapes in a central fashion, but on a per-document basis.

Once you change the styles, you can save your document as a new template (.vst) and start from there each time.

To edit styles, do this:

1. Go to the Tools > Options > Advanced menu
    2. Check Run in developer mode
    3. Now go to: Format > Define Styles
    4. You can edit styles here

To find out which styles are applied to a shape, select the shape, then go to Format > Style

Hope it's helpful.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Donnerstag, 24. Dezember 2015 01:20
  • Hi George,

I noticed in Visio 2016 settings, that we can save all settings in the Windows Registry. There, we find:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Visio\Application\DefaultFontName

On my machine, the default value of DefaultFontName is '???'. I modified this value to 'Courier New'. There is also a DefaultFontFamily, which has an assigned hex value of 0xFFFF. I couldn't find any documentation anywhere for DefaultFontFamily, so I didn't modify.

After making the single change to DefaultFontName, I closed RegEdit and restarted Visio 2016. Unfortunately, I continue to see Calibri as the default font.

Furthermore, I find that even if I change the current font to Courier New, and I drag stencil shapes (that I have set to a different font) from a custom saved template, when the shape hits the workspace, both the shape font and the current font changes back to Calibri. This is really frustrating! :(

With respect, this is not user-friendly application design IMHO.

Any assistance appreciated,

Thanks,

Brad

Brad

Mittwoch, 20. Januar 2016 17:59
  • I found a way to change the default font from Calibri back to Arial. It's mentioned in the following LinkedIn comment "discussion":

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Changing-new-drawing-default-font-63136.S.125702676

Note the comment from Dmitry, which references the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298736

Using the information provided in this article, you can expose Visio settings in the registry, then modify the DefaultFontName entry to Arial (or another font of your choice). I only use the Blank template, US units, and this fix seems to be holding up.

You must exit all running instances of Visio before making the registry change, or Visio will overwrite your modified registry setting when it exits.

Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 15:02