none
Custom Project Description Fields

Frage

• Please be patient with me. This is my first proper attempt to use MS Project and I'm trying to use a language I haven't touched in well over a decade.

I'm using Project Professional 2016 and I need a way to stored data about a project that is not applicable to individual tasks. At first, I thought I could just add custom fields, but then it smacked me in the face that those fields are task-related.

So, the question is pretty simple: is there a way to add customer description fields for a project that has no effect on the task fields? If so, can these fields also be manipulated via Visual Basic executed from a Master project tracker? If not, is there an option that would mimic this level of data storage and control without Project Server?

Montag, 2. April 2018 14:11

Antworten

• Angel,

Let's see, Yes, yes and yes.

Perhaps the easiest approach is to use the Notes field of the Project Summary Task. Or, you could use the Comments property of the BuiltInDocumentProperties. Both are read/write accessible using VBA.

Hope this helps.

John

Montag, 2. April 2018 14:54

Alle Antworten

• Angel,

Let's see, Yes, yes and yes.

Perhaps the easiest approach is to use the Notes field of the Project Summary Task. Or, you could use the Comments property of the BuiltInDocumentProperties. Both are read/write accessible using VBA.

Hope this helps.

John

Montag, 2. April 2018 14:54
  • Submit the information in a JSON format?
    Montag, 2. April 2018 14:58
  • Angel,

You mentioned Visual Basic. I don't use JSON so I don't know how VB and Java Script interact. Maybe someone else will jump in with some insight.

John

Montag, 2. April 2018 16:08
  • Yeah, with your suggestion basically I'm converting an Excel spreadsheet of data into the description for each project. Only way I know to format the data for a single field is JSON. ^^'

Thank you for the help. :)

Montag, 2. April 2018 17:03
  • Angel,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Montag, 2. April 2018 17:48
  • I know you answered this a while ago, but I finally got the entire project finished and got the data storage finished using the Notes field of the project. My apologies for the wait, but I didn't want to mark it as answered until I was certain everything worked with the data (read/write/update).

Thank you, John, for all the help you've given me as I slowly made my way through this. You've been tremendously helpful, and now I can go back to languages I thoroughly know. ^^'

Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 02:38
  • Angel,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 15:22