none
Transactional Log Shipping in Bulk Recovery Model

Frage

• Hi Team,

I have configured the Logshipping for the Primary Database in Bulk Recoverey Mode.

If I do the bulk operations in this Primary database which is already logshipped and the bulk transactions will not be logged in the primary database transaction log then will logshipping be successful? 

Thanks.

Donnerstag, 3. Mai 2018 13:11

Alle Antworten

• Yes, this will work fine. You will not get point in time recovery for bulk operations though.

So if you do a bulk operation which goes from 10:05 to 10:10 you will be able to do a point in time recovery on the log ship destination before 10:05 and after 10:10 but not 10:07 (for example).

Donnerstag, 3. Mai 2018 13:28
  • Hi Team,

I have configured the Logshipping for the Primary Database in Bulk Recoverey Mode.

If I do the bulk operations in this Primary database which is already logshipped and the bulk transactions will not be logged in the primary database transaction log then will logshipping be successful? 

Thanks.

Every transaction is logged in sql server, there are some exceptions but for practical purpose the statement is true. Even in bulk logged recovery model logging happens and allocation changes are logged and only enough information is logged so that rollback can happen no information for rollforward is logged. Now for your question LS will still work because it has to restore transaction log file and it does not matter what it includes. The point here is whether you can have PIT in that case you cannot have for period you did bulk logged operation.

Please also note if you do not do bulk logged operation in BL recovery model the logging will be same as that in full recovery and PIT recovery is possible

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Donnerstag, 3. Mai 2018 14:11
  • Hi Hilary,

Thanq for your reply.can i get point in time recovery in case of full recovery .that means can i get the recovery at 10.07 time.

Donnerstag, 3. Mai 2018 15:33
  • Yes you can.

You can also get point in time recovery in bulk logged recovery model - just not when you are doing non-logged operations - like truncate table, bcp, bulk insert, insert .. select, etc.

If you never do these things you will get point in time recovery in bulk logged recovery model.

Donnerstag, 3. Mai 2018 15:50