none
MS Project 2013: What's the driving element for column width in a timetable (Ressource: Usage vs. Gannt-View)

Frage

• Hi,

I want to visualize a vacation calendar. For this I am customizing vacations, training days, or other reasons of non project working time for each ressource.

By using a view, based on the view Ressource: Usage, I got a view looking like this:

picture is missing

(because of Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account)

Unfortunately this view shows only 14 weeks (by using a zoom factor of 25%). 

I want to see more weeks to get a better overview over a bigger period of time (but by keeping the granularity of days).

But I am not able to reduce the zoom factor less than 25%. That's for me a valid limitation of project.

Using a view on a weekly base is not that what I want, because I wrote some macros to toogle the timetable quickly between daily, weekly, monthly,.... 

I investigated a bit and I found a "different default" column width in the views "Gannt" and "Ressource: Usage". The following pictures shows "my problem". (both use the zoom factor 100%) based on an empty ms project template.

Gannt-View:

picture is missing

(because of Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account)

Ressource: Usage View:

picture is missing

As you can see the column width for a single day in the Gannt-view and the Ressource: Usage is different (at the same zoom factor of 100%).

So, how (or where) can I customize the colum width of the timetable. What is driving the column width (in the view Ressource: View)

I tried to change the font resp. fontsize via Format->Texttypes. The column width didn't change. 

I tried to change the font resp. fontsize via (right click on timetable -> details -> field properties...). The column width didn't change. 

Does anyone have a idea to put the column width equal to the Gannt-View?

Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 10:23

Alle Antworten

• Karl,

The driving element for the difference is this. The Gantt Chart view just shows a graphic representing the task duration. Normally there is no numeric detail attached or shown with the bar so the resolution can be very small. The Resource Usage view on the other hand always display some type of numeric data. Therefore the starting width for the timescale columns is wider.

The timescale size setting allows the view's graphic or data to be "scrunched" but in either case the minimum of 25% effectively renders the right side of either view unreadable. Any further reduction would make it even worse.

If you have some "quick change" macros, I suggest you use those to quickly adjust the timescale of your vacation calendar for best visibility depending on the time period you want to show.

Another option is to export the resource non-working time data to Excel where you have more display format flexibility. A macro would be ideal for this.

Hope this helps.

Followup: After posting I remembered I have a macro that exports Project calendar exceptions to Excel. I'd be happy to share it if you are interested.

John

Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 13:21
  • Absolute agreement with John's answer.  A close look at virtually any Gantt bar shows that its position relative to the timescale is far from precise.  Another option for compressing output: print to a pdf on a large format - e.g. A0.  The result can then be shrunk down to A4/ltr or A3/tabloid.
    Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 13:59