none
Trouble with DNS resolution RRS feed

• Allgemeine Diskussion

• Hello,

since a few weeks we are encountering problem with DNS resolution on most clients running Fortinet SSL VPN tunnel. Even though IPv6 isn't enabled on our company network yet and all traffic is configured to route to the tunnel some domain names return wrong IP addresses from outside our network using PING. NSLOOKUP always returns the correct local DNS server and provide the right IP address! *Strange*

I found out that if I am disabling IPv6 on the local LAN interface of my Windows client it is working fine again, but I know that Microsoft does not recommend disabling IPv6. This appears on most Windows 7 and Win10 clients also!

Can someone explain why I am constantly getting a wrong IP address even the correct DNS server is being used. Local DNS Caches has been checked and cleared before! Could this be related to a recent Windows update?

Kind regards, Sebastian

Mittwoch, 10. August 2016 09:19

Alle Antworten

• Hello Sebastian,

as far as I know this part of the board is for members who are mainly speaking and understanding german. Maybe you should ask your question there again:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

But nevertheless... I would suggest that you take a look at the IP-v6 section in the network settings (control panel) of your dns-servers. The DNS-server should retrieve his address automatically. Incorrect settings in that particular part may be the cause for the errors you are getting.

Best regards

willy

Mittwoch, 10. August 2016 18:55
  • Hi,

Am 10.08.2016 um 11:19 schrieb -Sebastian-:
    > I found out that if I am disabling IPv6 on the local LAN interface of my
    > Windows client it is working fine again,

Dann mach das. -> DisabledComponents = FFFFFFFFF
    Jedes Security Tutorial schreibt aber auch, das aufgrund der
    "Schattennetz" Problematik IPv6 nur dann verwendet werden soll, wenn es
    genutzt und konfiguriert ist.

Warum dein Fortinet SSL VPN Client falsche IPs verwednet ist vielleicht