CD/DVD drive not working RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried looking at a lot of resolved questions but none of them seem to be quite the same situation. The drive does not open when i push the button, the light is not on either. a paper clip does open it. The drive does not show up in My Computer, but DOES show up in Device Manager which seems to think that it's working perfectly fine. Nothing has been added/installed to the computer, I was using the CD drive last night with no problems at all. When I first noticed the problem the light was one but was orange, after restarting the computer the light was not on at all. Any suggestions?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Go to device manager, right click on the dvd driver->propertise, under general tab, is it saying "This device is working properly"?

Please try the following method to check the result:

1. Click Start, then enter REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor
    2. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class entry
    3. Under the Class entry, double click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the UpperFilters entry
    5. Make sure the UpperFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
    6. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the LowerFilters entry
    7. Make sure the LowerFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
    8. Close the Registry Editor by clicking File, Exit.  

Meanwhile, as this issue occurs recently, system restore can be under consideration.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:55 AM