REMOVAL OF SKYPE FOR BUSINESS 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• This program must have been installed as part of an update, I think.  Having the icons etc is a real bugbear.  I wish to TOTALLY remove this program and all its elements from my computer.  I am running windows 8.1 and Office Professional.  I am not any sort of computer geek and so do not know anything about command key prompts etc.  The usual unistall process does not remove Skype for business, which is a concern and puts it firmly in the malware category for me.  I did not ask, want  or activate this programme, so it should not be on my computer.  Simple steps for its removal would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:22 PM

Answers

• Did you have Lync before?  The Skype for Business client is simply the patched version of Lync.  To remove, you should be able to go to add/remove features, find Office Professional Plus (if you have that instead of Office Professional, and select the Add or Remove Features option.  Find Microsoft Lync and set it to Not Available and click Continue and follow the wizard. If you don't see Microsoft Lync as an option in there, it may be installed outside of Office.  In that case, see if you can find Microsoft Lync or Microsoft Skype for Business listed in your programs and whatever you find, uninstall it.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Friday, September 4, 2015 6:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:23 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

Also you could use Office 2013 command with the parameter "/uninstall [ProductID]" to remove Skype for Business client.

More details:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178956.aspx

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 4, 2015 6:38 AM

All replies

• Did you have Lync before?  The Skype for Business client is simply the patched version of Lync.  To remove, you should be able to go to add/remove features, find Office Professional Plus (if you have that instead of Office Professional, and select the Add or Remove Features option.  Find Microsoft Lync and set it to Not Available and click Continue and follow the wizard. If you don't see Microsoft Lync as an option in there, it may be installed outside of Office.  In that case, see if you can find Microsoft Lync or Microsoft Skype for Business listed in your programs and whatever you find, uninstall it.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Friday, September 4, 2015 6:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

Also you could use Office 2013 command with the parameter "/uninstall [ProductID]" to remove Skype for Business client.

More details:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178956.aspx

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 4, 2015 6:38 AM