none
Project Server 2013: If using the new SP security model, how is a user updated to a resource? RRS feed

• Question

• If using the new SharePoint security model, how is a user updated to a resource?  We are currently not using AD groups.
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:10 PM

All replies

• Naomi,

Could you please explain your question more?

Did you mean, how does a user who has an Office 365 account get created as a resource in PWA? If yes, then it is same as in 2010. Go to Resource Center, and create the resource while checking the box that says "Associate resource with a user account".  This should allow you to specify a user that has account in your Office 365 environment. 

If this was not what you were looking for, please let us know.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Prasanna - I am already set up as a user (admin).  I actually had tried what you stated but got the error message that I already had an account, so could not be saved.  This is what would happen in PS2010 also.  However, with PS2010's security setup, the process was to go to "Manage Users", select the person, and then edit their account to allow them to be selected as a resource.  That option is no longer available with the new SharePoint security model.
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Here is how I would think it ought to work:

1. The Site Collection Admin would have you set up as an Admin by adding you to the "Administrators for project Web APp" SharePoint group, at the PWA site collection level.
    2. Now you would go to the Resource Center and do what I described in the previous post 

I just tested this on my environment, and it works fine. Is it possible that you have some kind of filter set on the Resource Center?

Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:03 PM
  • We started over with me just set to an admin user.  I added myself in as a resource.  While doing the initial add, I checked the "Associate resource with a user account" box and added my user logon account.  I now get the following errors:

The resource could not be saved due to the following reasons:
    • The timesheet manager you have selected is not a valid choice. The user may have been removed, may not be a "Timesheet Manager", or may not be active.
    • The default assignment owner is not a valid choice.

My name is in both places as Timesheet Manager and Default Assignment Owners.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:09 PM
  • Naomi,

I cannot replicate this behavior on my system. I am curious as to what were the steps followed, to set you up as an administrator on PWA? May me something is missing there?

Friday, July 19, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Naomi,

In addition to Prasanna advice, Navigate to gear menu on the right hand side top corner, select site actions, site settings. Click on People and Group. Then click on Site permissions, now click on Check permissions from the ribbon. Enter the user ID and validate your current permissions. Let us know the result.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, July 19, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Hrishi,

Here is what is listed.  I had told the tech admin to undo everything he had done unrelated to setting me as an Admin but it looks like some of these are still present.

Full Control
    Given through the "Administrators for Project Web App" group.
    Contribute
    Given through the "Team Members for Project Web App" group.
    Full Control

Given through the "Project Managers" group.

Friday, July 19, 2013 4:55 PM
  • To get around this error message remove the current default name from Timesheet Manager and Default Assignment Owners fields. 

You can then save the resource without an error.

Monday, October 16, 2017 7:38 AM