How to ORDER BY a column RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Gurus, 

I have few table joins in my sql query. All these tables have a column called sort_key1, which holds unique value for each table. Like for table1 =1, table2=2 .. etc.  and sort_key2 which is an identity column for each table.

Finally, I would like my result set to be sorted by these two columns, first by sort_key1 and then sort_key2.

How should I modify my sql query to get this sorted result set.? Please help me with this.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:51 PM

Answers

• How do you join in the above scenario.you have given 2 rows in the Table1 and 2 rows in Table2.How did you get four rows in the output.is it a cross join

Try this Order by.

Order by isnull(T1.sort_key1,T2.Sort_Key1),isnull(T1.sort_key2,T2.sort_key2)
    If will be easy to answer if you post data that resembles your input and output and join conditions.

Vinay Valeti| If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful. If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer

Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:06 PM

All replies

• You said you have these column in every table.that means resulting output will have these columns in the same row.that means table1.sort_key1,table1.sort_key2,table2.sort_key1,table2.sort_key2

What is your order criteria in that case.Do you want something like this.

select A.Column1,B.Column1,A.Sort_Key1,A.Sort_Key2,B.Sort_Key1,B.Sort_Key2
    From Table1 A Join Table2 B on A.ID=B.ID
    Order by A.Sort_Key1,B.Sort_Key1,A.Sort_Key2,B.Sort_Key2
    Post some sample DDL and sample data input and output.

Vinay Valeti| If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful. If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer

• Edited by Vinay Valeti Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Saeid Hasani Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:30 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:09 PM
  • You said you have these column in every table.that means resulting output will have these columns in the same row.that means table1.sort_key1,table1.sort_key2,table2.sort_key1,table2.sort_key2

What is your order criteria.Do you want something like this.

select A.Column1,B.Column1,A.Sort_Key1,A.Sort_Key2,B.Sort_Key1,B.Sort_Key2
    From Table1 A Join Table2 B on A.ID=B.ID
    Order by A.Sort_Key1,B.Sort_Key1,A.Sort_Key2,B.Sort_Key2
    Post some sample DDL and sample data input and output.

Hi Vinay Valeti, 

Yes, you are right "these columns in the same row". We will've a SAS program reading this sql query o/p and should put them in the order according to predefined order in sort_key1 field. The very point I was missing all this time. But I want to do this ordering in SQL instead of SAS. I have almost 13 joins and when I tried to tweak my query like above it is taking lot of time. 

My sample data.

table1:

sort_key1  sort_key2     col1    col2

1                1               aaa     fddf1                2               ddd     fdfd

table2: 

2                1               bbb    ddd
    2                2               asas    asdfd

My O/P.

1                1               aaa     fddf
    1                2               ddd     fdfd

2                1               aaa     fddf
    2                2               ddd     fdfd

I'm trying to get the O/P like this. Please help me with this. ? 

Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:50 PM
  • In the above output.It looks like you are doing a union.not a join 

If that is what you want you can try this..

select Col1,Col2,sort_key1,sort_key2 From Table1
    union all
    select Col1,Col2,sort_key1,sort_key2 From Table2
    Order by sort_key1,sort_key2

Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Actually, I want to join the data but I forgot to represent that above. I only want to O/p the fields that are in both those tables. 

I'm doing INNER JOIN in my query.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:48 PM
  • How do you join in the above scenario.you have given 2 rows in the Table1 and 2 rows in Table2.How did you get four rows in the output.is it a cross join

Try this Order by.

Order by isnull(T1.sort_key1,T2.Sort_Key1),isnull(T1.sort_key2,T2.sort_key2)
    If will be easy to answer if you post data that resembles your input and output and join conditions.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:06 PM