none
Exporting/Importing exchange logs in SQL Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello i am a totally newbie to exchange. I was assigned the task of ensuring that exchange 2007 server logs (which emails were sent/recieved by employees) are created in remote sql database on our database server rather than on our exhange server in .log file. Right now exchange creates all the logs in .log file which is in w3c format. It gets really unwieldy to analyze the log so i have to ensure that it is created in remote database like there is an option in Forefront TMG to create logs in remote database. Please guide me. Thanks.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 6:24 AM

Answers

• This is something that first came up many years ago. http://msexchangetips.blogspot.com/2006/09/exchange-exporting-and-querying.html  is one of many solutions for taking the message tracking logs and getting them into Exchange. You can purchase products or you can grow your own. Alternatively you can just deploy a 3rd party product that looks at all the logs in situ and provides information from there.

One thing you have to decide is how long you want the information retained.

"Optimus Primal 3232" wrote in message news:d95deda2-a376-43da-8c8a-6c9210466ecb...
    Hello i am a totally newbie to exchange. I was assigned the task of ensuring that exchange 2007 server logs (which emails were sent/recieved by employees) are created in remote sql database on our database server rather than on our exhange server in .log file. Right now exchange creates all the logs in .log file which is in w3c format. It gets really unwieldy to analyze the log so i have to ensure that it is created in remote database like there is an option in Forefront TMG to create logs in remote database. Please guide me. Thanks.

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:59 AM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 5:42 PM

All replies

• Hello i am a totally newbie to exchange. I was assigned the task of ensuring that exchange 2007 server logs (which emails were sent/recieved by employees) are created in remote sql database on our database server rather than on our exhange server in .log file. Right now exchange creates all the logs in .log file which is in w3c format. It gets really unwieldy to analyze the log so i have to ensure that it is created in remote database like there is an option in Forefront TMG to create logs in remote database. Please guide me. Thanks.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 6:23 AM
  • There is no native way that I am aware of to get the logs in to SQL.
    You should look at the log parser tool from Microsoft, which can use SQL like commands to query the log files.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 11:24 AM
  • This is something that first came up many years ago. http://msexchangetips.blogspot.com/2006/09/exchange-exporting-and-querying.html  is one of many solutions for taking the message tracking logs and getting them into Exchange. You can purchase products or you can grow your own. Alternatively you can just deploy a 3rd party product that looks at all the logs in situ and provides information from there.

One thing you have to decide is how long you want the information retained.

"Optimus Primal 3232" wrote in message news:d95deda2-a376-43da-8c8a-6c9210466ecb...
    Hello i am a totally newbie to exchange. I was assigned the task of ensuring that exchange 2007 server logs (which emails were sent/recieved by employees) are created in remote sql database on our database server rather than on our exhange server in .log file. Right now exchange creates all the logs in .log file which is in w3c format. It gets really unwieldy to analyze the log so i have to ensure that it is created in remote database like there is an option in Forefront TMG to create logs in remote database. Please guide me. Thanks.

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:59 AM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Thanks guys for help.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:15 AM