Script in OSD file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody :-)

I sequenced Notepad++ but the function "Edit with Notepad++" is not available when I do a right clic on a file. Then I want to add it by script in the OSD file.
    I want to make an action before the launch of this application. I added this to my OSD file :

<SCRIPT TIMING="PRE" EVENT="LAUNCH" WAIT="TRUE" PROTECT="TRUE"> 
       <SCRIPTBODY> 
          reg ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell" /f \n
          reg ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Ouvrir avec Notepad++"  /f \n
          reg ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Ouvrir avec Notepad++\command"  /f \n
          reg ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Ouvrir avec Notepad++\command" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sfttray.exe /launch Notepad++ 5.1.1.0"  /f \n
       </SCRIPTBODY> 
    </SCRIPT>

But it didn't work :-(
    The commands are ok, but nothing is add on the registry.

Can you help me please....... !
    Thank you so much.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:22 AM

Answers

• Ok, so try changing CODEBASE element like this:

... PARAMETERS="%SFT_MNT%\videolan\VLC\VideoLAN Website.url" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" ...

Using %CSIDL... variable in the filename overcomes the possibility that you have localized name for Program Files -folder (French[?] as I gather from your App-V error message ;-)).

br,
    Kalle
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, April 24, 2009 11:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, April 1, 2011 8:04 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:24 AM
  • Create an OSD file with no shortcuts but just the registry keys required for shell integration. Make sure to add these registry keys outside the virtual environment and publish this OSD in the startup folder of users. So when a user logs into the machine, this osd will be launched and shell keys will be merged on local box. Hope this explains.

But I would like you to check against admin and non-admin user or by logging with different a/c. See how it behaves and let all of us know.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Hello,

Since you have virtualized adobe pdf and the actual file that you are trying to open is in another package - the reader cannot access this.

One way to resolve the issue is to utilize DSC, explained here;
    http://www.softgridblog.com/?p=17

/Znack
    Friday, April 24, 2009 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hello,

While I stated that you should post in the sequencing forum, I meant that more as a guideline for future postings....
    Anyways, for anyone who cares;
    Hello,

Tips would be to post this in the Sequencing section.

Now, since you set protection to true, this means that the value will be set in the virtual environment, thus not possible to effect the non-virtualized shell.

/Znack
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:27 AM
  • From what I know any application funtionality which uses shell extensions will not work with sequencing.
    Have never tries adding scripts to make it work tho... Please post the solution if you get any...

J.Caleb Kirubakaran
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:31 AM
  • Hello,

Well, to add to the last comment :)

A former co-worker and I made the shell extension of winrar (which includes a dll file beeing placed locally) work.

We also made the integration of virtual visio into word.

Works pretty sweet - but why SG / APP-V wont handle this centrally like FTAs is something I would love to have explained.

(and compared to SVS - its really the WORST downside of app-v)
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Hi :-)

When I put PROTECT = FALSE, the value go correctly in the registry, fine !!!

<SCRIPT TIMING="PRE" EVENT="LAUNCH" WAIT="TRUE" PROTECT="FALSE">
       <SCRIPTBODY>
          reg ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell" /f \n
          reg ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Ouvrir avec Notepad++"  /f \n
          reg ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Ouvrir avec Notepad++\command"  /f \n
          reg ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Ouvrir avec Notepad++\command" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sfttray.exe /launch Notepad++ 5.1.1.0"  /f \n
       </SCRIPTBODY>
    </SCRIPT>

But I need to open Notepad++ to put the value in the registry. I would like that the value insert in the registry on the log on on the user and that is delete when the user log off. Is that possible ?

THANK YOU so much

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:10 AM
  • Hi Znack,
      Please share the steps you followed to make shell extension of winrar to work?? We have a couple of other applications also with shell extensions which need to be sequenced.
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.

J.Caleb Kirubakaran
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:12 AM
  • Hello,

Please use a login-script, deployment or other type of way to roll-out the change.

/Znack
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Hello,
    Sorry..
    As I said: former co-worker... I left the place and never bothered to take it with me as I realized that it could change (new dll, new reg-keys etc etc) anyday.

Basically you have to use filemon/regmon to watch what it looks for and needs, and you can compare it to the sequence you made with the specific program (winrar, visio etc).

I believe there is an example with project and sharepoint regarding this somewhere in the forums...

There is a program made to make the shell extension easier to make, which could probably be utilized.

However, without app-v really addressing this in a serious manner - all solutions will probably be scripts and horrible workarounds.

(user_007 realized that for osd-scripts to work, the actual application has to be started... one down-side for example...)

/Znack
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Hello,

a login-script is not a good idea... I would like that the script executes when the application is load (not run), before the user click on the icon. When the client app-v connect to the server app-v to load the differents applications. Is that possible ?

Thanks
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Hello,

I am assuming that this is a mgt / streaming server infrastructure; no.

If its a standalone / SCCM R2: yes

/Znack
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:34 PM
  • Hmmm I don't understand... My server app-v is a simple "Application Virtualization Server"...
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Hello,

Then no, no function is there to execute a script before loading the application or performing a refresh operation.

/Znack
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:10 PM
  • :-(

What kind of server app-v can do this ?

Thanks a lot for your help !
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:13 PM
  • you can create a dummy osd file which will only create those registry keys on the physical machine, and publish it in startup folder.

Note: this will only work for admin users. you might wish to change the keys populate at HKCU\software\classes for it to work for non admin users.

Mayank
    GNU Developer by choice ....
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Hello Mayank :-)

Can you be more precise please... ?

The problem is the same with winzip, when you do a right clic on a folder to compress, the option is not available... :-(

It has to have a solution there. But how ?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Create an OSD file with no shortcuts but just the registry keys required for shell integration. Make sure to add these registry keys outside the virtual environment and publish this OSD in the startup folder of users. So when a user logs into the machine, this osd will be launched and shell keys will be merged on local box. Hope this explains.

But I would like you to check against admin and non-admin user or by logging with different a/c. See how it behaves and let all of us know.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Since you can not have any osd file without shortcuts, so you can have a "%windir%\system32\cmd.exe" in filename and have "/C" in PARAMETER tag of CODEBASE section of OSD File.

Also I believe that non admins can not add anything to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry keys thus you might try to add the keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes instead.

Mayank
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:33 PM
  • I love the fact that a login-script was rejected, but a SG-published application that performs no action apart from the pre-execution script and is placed in the startup-folder isn't?

Sometimes you lose sight of what you are actually trying todo...

Now, what would I do? App-v can't handle the shell extensions, and therefore I would recommend a local-installation.
    (winzip has excellent documentation for this, aswell as many other vendors).

If someone still wants to virtualize, they should realise the limitation and really think about what they gain or lose in virtualizing the application.

I wouldn't deploy a local-registry-hack like this unless I had a proper uninstallation scenario inplace (meaning, package it is a MSI or make sure that you have the corresponding hacks to remove it), and if I didn't have a SMS/SCCM or something like it (RES Wisdom, altiris NS/DS, etc etc etc) I would really think about deploying this. (and probably consider togo for the local installation).

(ok, I just went of on the negative side - but this limitation is really starting to annoy me - and the workarounds I hear about and see here are becoming to many and to shortsighted )

/Znack

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Hello Znack,

If you don't have a SMS/SCCM of Res of some of that tooling. I think doing this thrue a login script or if you are using Server 2008 you can ad the registry settings with prefereces of the policy.

Grz
    Roelk
    Roelk
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:59 AM
  • Hello,
    Exactly what I suggested in the first posts in this thread, however I believe that isn't a proper solution to the problem (even though it is a very consultant friendly workaround) and the actual rollout of the change is of minor problem and not what I am critizing.

/Znack
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:27 AM
  • Thank you everybody for your help.

It's a difficult problem and I haven't a "good" solution... It doesn't matter.

I have another question :-) I sequenced Adobe Reader, nor problem :-) It's work fine. Then I sequeced another applications who have help file in PDF but that does not manage to open it. I tried by putting LOCAL_INTERACTION TRUE in the OSD file but the problem is already there. Have you an idea ? (I have the save problem with application that have an internet file (official website for example)).

Thankssssss
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:20 PM
  • The problem is that one sequence can not access the resources of another sequence, be it file or else until they use DSC.

It is not a good idea to sequence basic applications such as adobe reader, Office apps., middleware etc. which are needed by everyone, you bind them with the machine build itself.

Mayank
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Ok...

But Internet Explorer is not virtualized. For example, "VideoLan" is virtualized and the is a html file to link to the Documentation and another to link to the official website. But it's not possible to open it...

?
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Works pretty sweet - but why SG / APP-V wont handle this centrally like FTAs is something I would love to have explained.

(and compared to SVS - its really the WORST downside of app-v)

Well, the reason it doesn't work is that it would seriously break the isolation provided by the App-V virtualization. Also, it might not be the simple case of just detecting what DLLs are needed for Explorer; there's probably whole bunch of other files needed to execute the requested action too. Of course, Microsoft could [easily?] write stub DLL that launch and forwards calls to launched virtual app and register that stub as handler to real Explorer, but still.

IMHO, it's generally good thing that things don't get injected into Explorer process (which is what these extensions to context-menu are).. In the end, these are some of the reasons why we want to run applications as virtualized and not just install them locally (giving you "unlimited integration" ;-)), right?

As why in SVS it works: traditionally SVS has not provided isolation (only "virtualization") so it's the whole different approach how the product work technically. With such approach, you don't really have application conflict removal benefits that strong isolation provides. If I'm not mistaken, newer versions of SVS now provide optional isolation too so maybe they have noticed there's something to have from isolating applications from each other (and system, as in this case).

br,
    Kalle
    Friday, April 24, 2009 5:44 AM
  • Thank you Kalle for the explications.  I understand, but is there a way to resolv my problem if Internet Explorer is installed locally ?

Have a nice day.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Err.. I don't quite follow you now. How does your FTA issue relate to Internet Explorer?

I was referring to Windows Explorer, the shell you are running and displaying those context-menus?

br,
    Kalle
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:00 AM
  • I don't understand the question...

For example, VideoLan is a virtualized application. In start menu, I have this :

Start -> Program -> VideoLan  -> VLC media player
                                                 -> Quick Settings
                                                 -> VideoLan website (html page)

VLC media player works fine, but when I launch VideoLan website, I have the error :
    Application Virtualization Client n'a pas pu lancer VideoLan Website.
    Le client Application Virtualization a rencontré un problème en attendant que l'application soit prête à interagir avec l'utilisateur. signalez le code d'erreur suivant à votre administrateur système.
    Code d'erreur : 4505CD-1F702A19-00001003
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:05 AM
  • What are your OSD's FILENAME and PARAMETERS -attributes pointing to (for VideoLan website (html page) -shortcut)?

br,
    Kalle

Friday, April 24, 2009 6:10 AM
  • <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="F64D3E72-47F9-4999-B1C3-037FDE9DE055" NAME="VideoLAN Website" VERSION="1.0">
    	<IMPLEMENTATION>
    		<CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://jungfrau.intra.eiaj.ch:554/VideoLan0.9.8a/VideoLan0.9.8a.sft" GUID="157C548F-8017-492A-B8E7-01E0C7473C4B" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="videolan\VLC\VideoLAN Website.url" SYSGUARDFILE="videolan\osguard.cp" SIZE="62732918"/>
    		<WORKINGDIR>%SFT_MNT%\videolan\VLC</WORKINGDIR>
    		<VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
    			<ENVLIST/>
    		</VIRTUALENV>
    		<VM VALUE="Win32">
    			<SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
    		</VM>
    		<OS VALUE="Win2003Svr"/>
    		<OS VALUE="WinVista"/>
    		<OS VALUE="WinXP"/>
    	</IMPLEMENTATION>
    	<DEPENDENCY>
    		<CLIENTVERSION VERSION="4.5.0.0"/>
    	</DEPENDENCY>
    	<PACKAGE NAME="VideoLan 0.9.8a"/>
    	<ABSTRACT/>
    	<MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
    		<SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%\VideoLAN" FILENAME="VideoLAN Website.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="VideoLAN Website" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/VideoLan0.9.8a Icons/VideoLAN Website.ico"/>
    	</MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
    	<MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    		<PROGIDLIST/>
    		<FILEEXTENSIONLIST/>
    	</MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Ok, so try changing CODEBASE element like this:

... PARAMETERS="%SFT_MNT%\videolan\VLC\VideoLAN Website.url" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" ...

Using %CSIDL... variable in the filename overcomes the possibility that you have localized name for Program Files -folder (French[?] as I gather from your App-V error message ;-)).

br,
    Kalle
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:24 AM
  • OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you're fantastic !!! That works. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:33 AM
  • Kalle,

Thanks a lot. I have another question... Adobe Reader 9 is virtualized and works fine. Corel Draw 12 is virtualized too and works fine.

In start menu of Corel Draw, I have this :
    Start - Program -> Corel Draw 12 -> Corel Draw 12
                                                      -> Corel Trace 12
                                                      -> Corel Capture 12
                                                      -> ...
                                                      -> something.pdf
                                                      -> user_guide.pdf

When I click on a pdf file (for example help.pdf), adobe reader opens but the file isnt show (file not found).

OSF file of something.pdf
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="64D888B2-524F-480D-9938-9807C3A8F5B3" NAME="Suite graphique CorelDRAW 12 - Guide de l'utilisateur (PDF)" VERSION="1.0">
    	<IMPLEMENTATION>
    		<CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://jungfrau.intra.eiaj.ch:554/CorelDraw12/CorelDraw12_2.sft" GUID="532B9C88-EA86-453D-BC05-342A72C4A3C9" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="corel\Languages\FR\Help\Suite graphique CorelDRAW 12 - Guide de l'utilisateur.pdf" SYSGUARDFILE="corel\osguard.cp" SIZE="371964190"/>
    		<WORKINGDIR>%SFT_MNT%\corel\Languages\FR\Help\</WORKINGDIR>
    			<ENVLIST/>
    		</VIRTUALENV>
    		<VM VALUE="Win32">
    			<SUBSYSTEM VALUE="console"/>
    		</VM>
    		<OS VALUE="Win2003Svr"/>
    		<OS VALUE="WinVista"/>
    		<OS VALUE="WinXP"/>
    	</IMPLEMENTATION>
    	<DEPENDENCY>
    	</DEPENDENCY>
    	<PACKAGE NAME="Corel Draw graphic suite 12"/>
    	<ABSTRACT/>
    	<MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
    		<SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%\Suite graphique CorelDRAW 12\Documentation (FR)" FILENAME="Suite graphique CorelDRAW 12 - Guide de l'utilisateur (PDF).lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="Suite graphique CorelDRAW 12 - Guide de l'utilisateur (PDF)" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/CorelDraw12 Icons/Suite graphique CorelDRAW 12 - Guide de l'utilisateur (PDF).ico"/>
    	</MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
    	<MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    		<PROGIDLIST/>
    		<FILEEXTENSIONLIST/>
    	</MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>
    OSF file of adobe reader

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="6AD4C9CC-8BD2-4A41-A67B-5362D1BDF581" NAME="Adobe Reader 9" VERSION="9.1.0.163">
    	<IMPLEMENTATION>
    		<CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://jungfrau.intra.eiaj.ch:554/AdobeReader9/AdobeReader9.sft" GUID="0D1BC1BC-DF86-4E15-8E8D-43A979D11684" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="areader.9\Adobe Reader 9\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="areader.9\osguard.cp" SIZE="225206781"/>
    		<WORKINGDIR/>
    			<ENVLIST/>
    		</VIRTUALENV>
    		<VM VALUE="Win32">
    			<SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
    		</VM>
    		<OS VALUE="Win2003Svr"/>
    		<OS VALUE="WinVista"/>
    		<OS VALUE="WinXP"/>
    	</IMPLEMENTATION>
    	<DEPENDENCY>
    	</DEPENDENCY>
    	<PACKAGE NAME="Adobe Reader 9"/>
    	<ABSTRACT/>
    	<MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
    		<SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_DESKTOPDIRECTORY%" FILENAME="Adobe Reader 9.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="Adobe Reader 9" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AdobeReader9 Icons/Adobe Reader 9 9.1.0.163.ico"/>
    		<SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%" FILENAME="Adobe Reader 9.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="Adobe Reader 9" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AdobeReader9 Icons/Adobe Reader 9 9.1.0.163.ico"/>
    	</MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
    	<MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    		<PROGIDLIST>
    			<PROGID ID="AcroExch.acrobatsecuritysettings.1" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat Security Settings Document" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    				<ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AdobeReader9 Icons/Adobe Acrobat Security Settings Document.ico</ICON>
    				<SHELLCOMMANDLIST DEFAULT="Read">
    					<SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Open" FRIENDLYNAME="Open" PARAMS="&quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
    					<SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Read" FRIENDLYNAME="Ouvrir avec Adobe Reader 9" PARAMS="&quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
    				</SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
    			</PROGID>
    			<PROGID ID="AcroExch.FDFDoc" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat Forms Document" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    				<ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AdobeReader9 Icons/Adobe Acrobat Forms Document.ico</ICON>
    					<SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Open" FRIENDLYNAME="Open" PARAMS="&quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
    					<SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Print" FRIENDLYNAME="Print" PARAMS="/p /h &quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
    					<SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Printto" FRIENDLYNAME="Printto" PARAMS="/t &quot;%1&quot; &quot;%2&quot; &quot;%3&quot; &quot;%4&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
    					<SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Read" FRIENDLYNAME="Ouvrir avec Adobe Reader 9" PARAMS="&quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
    				</SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
    			</PROGID>
    			<PROGID ID="AcroExch.Document.7" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat Document" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    				<ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AdobeReader9 Icons/Adobe Acrobat Document.ico</ICON>
    					<SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Print" FRIENDLYNAME="Print" PARAMS="/p /h &quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
    					<SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Printto" FRIENDLYNAME="Printto" PARAMS="/t &quot;%1&quot; &quot;%2&quot; &quot;%3&quot; &quot;%4&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
    				</SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
    			</PROGID>
    			<PROGID ID="AcroExch.pdfxml.1" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat PDFXML Document" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    				<ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AdobeReader9 Icons/Adobe Acrobat PDFXML Document.ico</ICON>
    				</SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
    			</PROGID>
    			<PROGID ID="PDXFileType" FRIENDLYNAME="Index Acrobat Catalog" EDITFLAGS="0" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    				<ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AdobeReader9 Icons/Index Acrobat Catalog.ico</ICON>
    				<SHELLCOMMANDLIST DEFAULT="">
    				</SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
    			</PROGID>
    			<PROGID ID="AcroExch.XDPDoc" FRIENDLYNAME="Formulaire XML Adobe Acrobat" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    				<ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AdobeReader9 Icons/Formulaire XML Adobe Acrobat.ico</ICON>
    				</SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
    			</PROGID>
    			<PROGID ID="AcroExch.XFDFDoc" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat Forms Document" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    				<ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AdobeReader9 Icons/Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (1).ico</ICON>
    				</SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
    			</PROGID>
    		</PROGIDLIST>
    		<FILEEXTENSIONLIST>
    			<FILEEXTENSION EXT="acrobatsecuritys" PROGID="AcroExch.acrobatsecuritysettings.1" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.acrobat-security-settings" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    				<SHELLNEW ENABLED="FALSE"/>
    			</FILEEXTENSION>
    			<FILEEXTENSION EXT="fdf" PROGID="AcroExch.FDFDoc" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.fdf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    			</FILEEXTENSION>
    			<FILEEXTENSION EXT="pdf" PROGID="AcroExch.Document.7" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/pdf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    			</FILEEXTENSION>
    			<FILEEXTENSION EXT="pdfxml" PROGID="AcroExch.pdfxml.1" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.pdfxml" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    			</FILEEXTENSION>
    			<FILEEXTENSION EXT="pdx" PROGID="PDXFileType" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.pdx" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    			</FILEEXTENSION>
    			<FILEEXTENSION EXT="xdp" PROGID="AcroExch.XDPDoc" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    			</FILEEXTENSION>
    			<FILEEXTENSION EXT="xfdf" PROGID="AcroExch.XFDFDoc" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.xfdf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    			</FILEEXTENSION>
    		</FILEEXTENSIONLIST>
    	</MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>
    Have you got an idea ?

Thank you so much for your help !
    Friday, April 24, 2009 9:21 AM
  • Hello,

Since you have virtualized adobe pdf and the actual file that you are trying to open is in another package - the reader cannot access this.

One way to resolve the issue is to utilize DSC, explained here;
    http://www.softgridblog.com/?p=17

/Znack
    Friday, April 24, 2009 11:20 AM
  • Hello,

Basically I understand your issues with breaking the isolation.

I do also realise that SVS goes about this in a very different way, but also that they have acknowledged the needs of people using their software and will in the next version resolve the lack of features (such as isolation, ts / citrix, 64-bits etc etc etc)

APP-V has at the moment not shown many signs of this... (64-bit is in the loop, some survey during december indicated some possibility of server-application virtualization)

Now, why do I whine about this? Exactly the reason this thread started. To many people come up with to many different ways to fix a feature which simple isn't there.
    Instead of allowing the admins or community to develop "bad" ways of fixing it, why not take an approach and actually provide the functionality ?

I know the limitation is there, but just like this case - the limitation is ignored, work-around and will probably give the admins more work in the end.

Considering the fact that just about any virtualization product promotes itself as a time-saver, this limitation-removal is (along with citrix, vmware etc etc that has the same limitation if they were to fix it) really a quick, good way of receiving a broader market, wider scope of applications for virtualization, good selling point and in the end less headache for the users of this product.

And yes, Kalle - if it wouldn't break the isolation, or provide an obstacle - it would be pretty dumb of the team to not implement it. I am not saying its easy, just that its a feature that would be really good to have and the admins using the product at the moment "working around the issue" providing a job not done well.

/Znack

Friday, April 24, 2009 11:43 AM
  • Hi Znack,

Thanks a lot. But the problem is not the same... Adobe Reader opens correctly, but the file is not loaded with (file not found) :-(

Friday, April 24, 2009 12:02 PM
  • because sequenced version of adobe can not read the files from another virtual package. If you are using 4.5 then make adobe a dependent package of other and launch the other, that way adobe will be able to access the pdf file.
    GNU developer by choice ....
    Friday, April 24, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Hi everybody,

Thanks for your help.

Yes I have app-v 4.5.

Johri Mayank I don't realy understand. I do make a package with adobe reader and corel draw together ?

There is no another way ?

Thank you and have a nice day.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:47 AM