none
Simulate a project performance with earned value analysis RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, 

I'm doing an exercise with project 20120. I created a small project, 17 tasks, and defined resources and resource cost per hour. I defined that cost is prorated. 
    Then I used 'Update project' and moved ahead the project date. This automatically changed the completation status of my tasks and it is correct. For convenience there is only resource/cost and no other material cost. Resources does NOT have flag 'effort driver' and 'task type' is 'fixed units' 
    Now my perplexities: 
    - BCWS and BCWP are still 0 
    - How can I simulate that a task supposed to be at 55% is instead at 40% and so far behind the schedule? I ask this to simulate that ACWP becomes different from BCWP and therefore value of CV is different from 0. 

Also I do not really understand the different between '% Completed' and '% work completed'. 

Thanks 
    Stefano 
    <input style="border-width:1px;border-style:solid;border-color:#c0c0c0;vertical-align:top;box-sizing:border-box;border-top-left-radius:1px;border-top-right-radius:1px;border-bottom-right-radius:1px;border-bottom-left-radius:1px;line-height:27px;padding-left:8px;color:#222222;height:1px;opacity:0;width:1px;z-index:-1;overflow:hidden;position:absolute;" tabindex="-1" type="text" />
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Stefano,

If you have already baselined your schedule and set Status date, the future  Start date tasks will still have BCWP & BCWS as 0. Because when you say Earned Value you try to analyze what was planned and how much was actually achieved to decide on if you are ahead, on-track or behind. So future dated tasks are not considered.

To stimulated your planned % complete and your actual % complete as you said 55% & 40%, you can create a formula field or theoretically it can be judged based on the difference between BCWP & BCWS or PV. Status Indicator field is another option to categorize delayed tasks.

So, to stimulate accurate EV - create resource loaded plan, assign cost to resources, set project start date and status date in Project Information and once done baseline your schedule. Then update % complete to see the CV and SV.

Difference between % Complete and % Work Complete - % Complete is specific to task. % Work Complete is resource centric. % Complete and % Work Complete remains same when you use the % Complete field to update %. But say a task has 2 resources A and B. You are using Resource(or Task) Usage view to update the % complete, there you get % Work Complete field across each task resource-wise.

Say A updated 50% and B updated 20% for a 4 days tasks your % Complete will be 35%. Now after 2 days you add 3rd resource C on this task. Now you will see your % Complete will reduce to 30% and % work complete is 25%. Now based on the individual update of A,B and C your % Complete & % Work Complete will vary, unless all 3 resource mark % Work complete as 100- % complete won't be 100.

Sapna S

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:53 AM

All replies

• I hope you saved the baseline for the project  before updating the project. If not, please create the project again by adding tasks and assigning resource. Once project schedule is created. Set Baseline.Then update the project.

If you have already set Baseline and then updated the project, then goto Project tab| Click on Project Information. Set the status date to a desired date and check whether you get the values for BCWS and BCWP.

% Complete=(Actual duration/ Total duration) x 100

% Work complete=(Actual Work/Total Work) x 100

Please refer to below links for more information on EVA:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/analyze-project-performance-with-earned-value-analysis-HA101819808.aspx

http://www.epmcentral.com/articles/evoverview.php

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:38 PM
  • Hi Stefano,

If you have already baselined your schedule and set Status date, the future  Start date tasks will still have BCWP & BCWS as 0. Because when you say Earned Value you try to analyze what was planned and how much was actually achieved to decide on if you are ahead, on-track or behind. So future dated tasks are not considered.

To stimulated your planned % complete and your actual % complete as you said 55% & 40%, you can create a formula field or theoretically it can be judged based on the difference between BCWP & BCWS or PV. Status Indicator field is another option to categorize delayed tasks.

So, to stimulate accurate EV - create resource loaded plan, assign cost to resources, set project start date and status date in Project Information and once done baseline your schedule. Then update % complete to see the CV and SV.

Difference between % Complete and % Work Complete - % Complete is specific to task. % Work Complete is resource centric. % Complete and % Work Complete remains same when you use the % Complete field to update %. But say a task has 2 resources A and B. You are using Resource(or Task) Usage view to update the % complete, there you get % Work Complete field across each task resource-wise.

Say A updated 50% and B updated 20% for a 4 days tasks your % Complete will be 35%. Now after 2 days you add 3rd resource C on this task. Now you will see your % Complete will reduce to 30% and % work complete is 25%. Now based on the individual update of A,B and C your % Complete & % Work Complete will vary, unless all 3 resource mark % Work complete as 100- % complete won't be 100.

Sapna S

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:53 AM