Appcontroller Web console access (remote console) not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I apologize ahead of time because I posted this question in another forum before I realized there was a specific appcontroller forum. I have been struggling with this for a while and Im hoping there someone with experience that can point me in the right direction.

this post is the closest I could find but it doesn't quite answer it;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/470cc7bb-b7b6-4a72-8165-4d0537583de4/system-center-app-controller-web-console?forum=scvmmssp2

My issue is with appcontroller (latest) Console feature. I understand port 2179 is required but I think I need more info. I have a hyper v cluster with App controller behind a firewall. when I click on console access I get "Virtual Machine Manager failed to connect to the virtual machine because the host name (host name) could not be resolved by the Domain Name System." Now initially I thought this meant the VMM SERVER could not resolve the host in question but after troubleshooting for day & it still not working I tried adding the ip info to the CLients Host file. and Viola it worked. however this would imply that the Client is doing a direct to-Cluster member communication and not the VMM server or a connection Via a gateway server similar to Remte Gateway services, and SBS server RWW. if this is the case that means it cant be offered to users outside the network and if we did we would have to do a 1-to-1 ip mapping for every member in the cluster, and post member names on public DNS.

Can someone tell me if this is how its supposed work , or if not can some one point me to the directions that all for having App controller published to one IP address and allow console access to via one IP address to a cluster of Hyperv.

Please no recommendations of "why don't you just use a TS server and have everyone go there" or similar. I appreciate anyone who can shed light on this thanks again

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Eliripoll,

Your investigations are correct. When a console connection is made the client is connecting directly to the Hyper-V server hosting the virtual machine.

To avoid needing to open up port 2179 to the internet we recommend that you publish App Controller as a RemoteApp. This way connections are made from the Remote Desktop Gateway to the Hyper-V server.

Alternatively, you could look at the Remote Console feature we added in the 2012 R2 release: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn469415.aspx. This feature does not use App Controller, but is designed to allow console connections to users outside of the corporate network.

Kind Regards,

Richard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, January 4, 2014 12:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Eliripoll,

Your investigations are correct. When a console connection is made the client is connecting directly to the Hyper-V server hosting the virtual machine.

To avoid needing to open up port 2179 to the internet we recommend that you publish App Controller as a RemoteApp. This way connections are made from the Remote Desktop Gateway to the Hyper-V server.

Alternatively, you could look at the Remote Console feature we added in the 2012 R2 release: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn469415.aspx. This feature does not use App Controller, but is designed to allow console connections to users outside of the corporate network.

Kind Regards,

Richard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, January 4, 2014 12:40 AM
  • Hi Richard,

We need a VM connect solution for our portal in System Center 2012.

Following queries are in this regard,

1. Is there a way we can give App Controller web access to the customers and they can connect directly to the virtual machines ? If not, is the console connect is not correctly implemented in app controller by Microsoft.

2. As your recommendation of publishing App Controller as RemoteApp, i deployed Remote Services. But to connect to the remoteapp, there are two authentication needing to provide. First one for entering into the remoteapp application portal, then for the particular remoteapp. I could stop first authentication, but this  is typically working in the host box only.

Question in this regard, can we launch the App Controller application as RemoteApp without multiple authentication ?

3. On this other option Azure, i'm ok with the steps but 

Windows Azure Pack for Windows Server for Remote Console

portion is not clear to me, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn469415.aspx.

Thanks,

Debabrata

Monday, June 16, 2014 6:20 AM