Setting files as 'User Data' RRS feed

• Question

• Wondering if anyone can help. I have an app where I need certain files to be set as 'user data' rather than 'application configuration' so that our users can make changes to them have have those changes follow them around on different machines. I also need to set them to Permanent rather than Override so they don't lose any changes if I update. My only problem - there are about 4000 files I need to change this for across three folders.

Anyone know if there is a way to change properties on mass or perform some trick during sequencing to have them set as User rather than Application?

Rich
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• This functionality is in the sequencer's registry but this tool that Kalle made helps expose it.

http://www.virtualapp.net/seqtypes.html

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 6:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Kevin you  beat me to this one.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 2:55 AM
  • Another very useful tool from Kalle - thanks for pointing me in the right direction folks. And if you happen to pop by, thank you Kalle. Smile

One other little question, The files won't get marked with either permanent or override when set as user data. I'm hoping that means the default behaviour on an update is that user changes won't get overriden?
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:44 AM
  • You're welcome ;-)

Unfortunately there's no way to pre-set override and permanent flags for specific filetypes so you still have to go through each manually after sequencing and change it. Note that the permanent flag has actually been deprecated in 4.5 (not showing up in Sequencer UI anymore)..

br,

Kalle

Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:37 PM
  •  

Kalle and everyone

you might check out Rubens write up from TechEd08 on this and a few other technical explinations.

It is his write up from Tech Ed 08.

http://www.brianmadden.com/blog/RubenSpruijt/Microsoft-Application-Virtualization-45-Deep-Dive

mattmcdermott

Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:48 PM
  •  UoL Beta Team wrote:

One other little question, The files won't get marked with either permanent or override when set as user data. I'm hoping that means the default behaviour on an update is that user changes won't get overriden?

Correct, the default behavior is that the permanent and override boxes are unchecked in the new version for a "user" file, which means that if the user has a copy of that file in their personal pkg file (because they made a change to it), the user will retain his personalization/customization/data.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:44 PM