grant permission to users for read AllItem but edit item that created by him/herself RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How I can grant permission to users that read all item created by every one in list but only edit item that created by himself/herself?

Thanx.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In case of list, go to list Settings page and click on "Advanced settings" link present under "General Settings". In "Item-level Permissions" section, modify "Read access" to "All items" and "Edit access" to "Only their own".

In case of library, use event handler on item updating event and cancel the event in case user is not the owner(author).

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:51 AM
  • Hi Rohit,

It's my mistake, and thanks for your explanation.

@ luckstar, users with Contribut permission will get access denied when they want to edit a list item which is not created by their own. No need to change anything.

Best regards,
    Emir

Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In case of list, go to list Settings page and click on "Advanced settings" link present under "General Settings". In "Item-level Permissions" section, modify "Read access" to "All items" and "Edit access" to "Only their own".

In case of library, use event handler on item updating event and cancel the event in case user is not the owner(author).

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:51 AM
  • Hi Rohit,

Thanx for your reply.

I do this settings(advanced settings)that you mention, also I grant “Contribute” permission to users group for my sharepoint list and I think this permission overwrite to above permission(Advanced settings).

Although I set "Read access" to "All items" and "Edit access" to "Only their own"

In advanced settings but users can edit items that created by another user.

Why this happen and how I can solve it?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Hi luckstar,

If a user with Edit items permission, he will be able to edit all list items. And Contribute permission level includes Edit items permission by default. Please go to http://server:port/_layouts/role.aspx, click Contribute, and copy this permission level to create a new permission level and it will inherit from Contribute. And then uncheck Edit Items under List Permission section. After finish creating the new permission level, modify permission for that groups to use this new permission level, then they would not be able to edit list item in that list any more.

Best regards,
    Emir

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

If users have "Contribute" permission and not "Manage List" permission, they wont be able to edit other users items.

On the edit page, when user will click "OK" button, he/ she will get "Access denied" message.

Hope this helps.

@Emir Liu,  after creation of new permission level and removing edit items permission, users wont be able to edit their owns items also.

Regards.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Hi Rohit,

It's my mistake, and thanks for your explanation.

@ luckstar, users with Contribut permission will get access denied when they want to edit a list item which is not created by their own. No need to change anything.

Best regards,
    Emir

Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Thanx Rohit & Emir, Actually my first setting(Advanced settings->Item-level Permissions->modify "Read access" to "All items" and "Edit access" to "Only their own".)is correct, but when I see “Edit Item” option when I right click in record, I think every one can edit it and I don’t try if really they can or encounter with “Access Denied”error! Showing “Edit Item” option misguided me, but according to Rohit statement, user see “Edit Item” option, but when he/she want to edit it, Access Denied Error appears. Thanx.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Luckstar:

You have already marked two replies as the answer.

Yet your latest post seems to be saying your question hasn't been answered.

I'm locking the thread as answered because the OP (you!) has twice said (by marking replies as answers) that his question has been solved. If you feel it hasn't been solved or have a new question then start a new thread. You have already closed this one twice.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Your right ,actually first Rohit answer's solve my problem.

Thanx for your remind.

Friday, May 6, 2011 4:45 PM