IMAP IDLE - Push mail ( as item arrive) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I found that there is a limit to the number of accounts that can be set to "As items arrive" if you already have two accounts setup to receive "As items arrive"; you will need to set one of them up with a timed interval before the other accounts may be enabled for push.

I have one outlook.com account configured  "As items arrive" but for another imap account but  I'm not able to setup  "As items arrive" ? Is any official position in this case ? whether the order of mailbox configuration is important ?

Thank you

/Krzysztiof 

Monday, November 4, 2013 11:00 PM

Answers

• Nothing is supported by default. I already said, supporting IMAP does NOT mean that IMAP IDLE is there by default. IDLE is part of the IMAP4 standard, but implementations do not need to include all portions of the standard. Please understand that.

There is no "making limitations". Nothing in program development is free.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:00 PM

All replies

• Can you provide me with some steps so I can attempt to reproduce your issue?
    Monday, November 4, 2013 11:37 PM
  • Yes, I did add outlook account as first one ( add an account -> Outlook, option : as items arrive was available ) second one was gmail ( add an account -> Google - no option for as items arrive so i left every 15 minutes) and I have one more imap account (  add an account -> other account - no option to set up as item arrive).

I removed gmail account so i had only outlook and "another imap" account but still only for outlook is option as items arrive.

Of course there is workaround to have push on gmail next to outlook account ( add and account -> outlook-> and fulfill with m.google.com etc and "as item arrive" will appear)  but if we do the same exercise  with standard imap account - there is no chance. I just think that this iption is available if you are going throug configuration : add an account -> outlook ... or correct me if i'm wrong. 

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:24 AM
  • Thank you for sharing your repro steps. I was able to observe this behavior in my testing earlier this week. I've also noticed the sync settings menu is completely different and offers additional configuration for the account which does not allow syncing items as they arrive.

I will continue to investigate this scenario and keep this thread updated with my findings.

Friday, November 15, 2013 7:19 PM
  • Thank you for sharing your repro steps. I was able to observe this behavior in my testing earlier this week. I've also noticed the sync settings menu is completely different and offers additional configuration for the account which does not allow syncing items as they arrive.

I will continue to investigate this scenario and keep this thread updated with my findings.

Some things need to be clairified here:

Does "sync settings menu is completely different" refer to the lack of contacts, calendar and tasks check boxes on the primary Microsoft account? If so, it's because you cannot turn syncing of these items off on the primary Microsoft account.

A for IMAP accounts, the phone doesn't support IMAP IDLE, so you can't get push on IMAP accounts. The m.google.com thing is Google's Exchange ActiveSync implementation. However, this is going away early next year unless you're a Google Apps user, so do not rely on this.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:30 AM
  • Yes - tat's true on primary account which is Outlook.com I have in setting only possibility to turn on/off synchronization of email but nothing else. 

For your answer regarding Google's Exchange AcriveSync - agree.

One I can not understand is which version of IMAP is implemented as a native protocol in phone ? 

Normally it should be last stable version which is IMAP4 ( include IDLE command ) rfc 2177

so which version is supported : imap, imap2, imap3, imap4 ?

Thank you

/Krzysztof

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:50 PM
  • I don't know, but having IMAP doesn't automatically mean IMAP IDLE is supported.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:56 PM
  • That's why is important which version is implemented as stack protocol imap or imap4 idle supported 
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Windows Phone uses IMAP4.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:50 PM
  • So in this case by default IDLE command is supported know als as push email. Question why making limitations for users ? 

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Nothing is supported by default. I already said, supporting IMAP does NOT mean that IMAP IDLE is there by default. IDLE is part of the IMAP4 standard, but implementations do not need to include all portions of the standard. Please understand that.

There is no "making limitations". Nothing in program development is free.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Clear. 

To summarize : Windows Phone 8 does not support push email on IMAP4 protocol implementation as Microsoft did not develop IMAP IDLE command which allows to do it. 

Think we can close topic. 

Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Correct. Hopefully IDLE will be implemented in the future.
    Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:22 PM