none
Restore files from formatted USB drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Can I still recover these files on my formatted USB drive? My USB drive was asked to format and my mum formatted it without reading the error warning carefully when she was reading some news on my laptop. Is there any way to recover my data form this USB drive? I am sure she did a quick format. Any idea could be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Monday, April 15, 2013 5:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This forum is dedicated to "System Center Data Protection Manager" questions, however, provided that nothing new was written to the usb drive since it was quick formatted, there is a good chance a 3rd party data recovery product can recover data from the device. You might find some freeware to download and try.  DO NOT let anything write to that drive until it has been recovered. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:18 PM
  • Nowadays, the formatting process often cannot completely erase the inner data on your USB drive, especially when you do a quick format. As Mike Jacquet writes, as long as you have not put new data on this USB drive to rewrite the original data, you do have chances to restore all your important data back with the help of data recovery software.

You could do some research about “data recovery software” over the internet and select an right one according to your own needs.

For example, if the money is tight, you could download a data drive data recovery freeware to get back your data, such as Recuva, PhotoRec and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc. But, if you want to have much more security of complete data recovery, you also could pay for a data recovery software or data recovery service of a recovery company.  

In all, I hope you could be much more careful about your important data and always remember to do regular data backup in the future.

• Marked as answer by Hugopuby56 Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:10 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This forum is dedicated to "System Center Data Protection Manager" questions, however, provided that nothing new was written to the usb drive since it was quick formatted, there is a good chance a 3rd party data recovery product can recover data from the device. You might find some freeware to download and try.  DO NOT let anything write to that drive until it has been recovered. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:18 PM
  • Nowadays, the formatting process often cannot completely erase the inner data on your USB drive, especially when you do a quick format. As Mike Jacquet writes, as long as you have not put new data on this USB drive to rewrite the original data, you do have chances to restore all your important data back with the help of data recovery software.

You could do some research about “data recovery software” over the internet and select an right one according to your own needs.

For example, if the money is tight, you could download a data drive data recovery freeware to get back your data, such as Recuva, PhotoRec and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc. But, if you want to have much more security of complete data recovery, you also could pay for a data recovery software or data recovery service of a recovery company.  

In all, I hope you could be much more careful about your important data and always remember to do regular data backup in the future.

• Marked as answer by Hugopuby56 Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:10 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:25 AM

Thanks god! Thank you for your replies.

I have read both of your replies and learn much knowledge of data recovery stuff.

In order to restore my data as soon as possible, I straightly tries your recommended data recovery software. All of them work well. However, only third one restored all of my data back.

Thank you very much.

Have a nice day!

Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:19 AM
  • Thank you for your guys' nice help.
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:19 AM