Forefront Client Security and Malicious software Removal Tool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I understand the purpose of MSRT is to remove infections from computers as opposed to Forefront pre-empting the infection. What I’d like to understand is, if Forefront is unable to remove a malware, is there any point in running MSRT in an attempt to remove the malware?. Does MSRT do any additional tasks or have a different definitions list?

Many thanks

Howard

Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Howard,

Thank you for your post.

According to your description, I understand you have problem with Forefront Client Security and Malicious software Removal Tool.

As far as I know, Microsoft Forefront Client Security(FCS): provides unified malware protection for business desktops, laptops and server operating systems that is easier to manage and control. The key difference between Forefront Client Security and the individual user offerings is the Forefront Client Security management infrastructure components that enable central reporting and alerting, customization and IT infrastructure integration.

Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT): A tool that complements traditional antivirus technologies by helping to identify and remove the most prevalent viruses and worms from customer computers. When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed. It is available at no charge to licensed Windows users.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830/en-us

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, April 10, 2009 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Howard,

Thank you for your post.

According to your description, I understand you have problem with Forefront Client Security and Malicious software Removal Tool.

As far as I know, Microsoft Forefront Client Security(FCS): provides unified malware protection for business desktops, laptops and server operating systems that is easier to manage and control. The key difference between Forefront Client Security and the individual user offerings is the Forefront Client Security management infrastructure components that enable central reporting and alerting, customization and IT infrastructure integration.

Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT): A tool that complements traditional antivirus technologies by helping to identify and remove the most prevalent viruses and worms from customer computers. When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed. It is available at no charge to licensed Windows users.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830/en-us

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, April 10, 2009 7:15 AM
  • Hello Nick, all,
    Sorry for any confusion, really the main question I'm asking is; if Forefront Client Security fails to remove a malware is there any poing in attempting to remove it with MSRT, or are they in fact both using the same angine and mechanisms as each other, therfore no point in attempting?
    Many thanks
    Howard
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:45 PM