none
Internal e-mails resolve to primary email address

Question

• Hi,

We recently added an Exchange Server 2013 in our 2010 environment to achieve a hybrid setup for a multi organization 0365 migration.

Since we installed Exchange 2013, we are experiencing some issues with email headers being rewritten to the default email adresses.

for example:

When I email to kristof1@mydomain.com, the TO field in the header changes to kristof@AD-domain.com causing the mail rules to not match the emailaddress specified in the rule. (looking for email address in to filed of the header)

The email address has several aliases and the rule is always looking for the email address in the TO field of the header.

External mail is working just fine.

Does anyone has a clue how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Kristof
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:49 AM

Answers

• That's the default behavior of Exchange.  Sending internal email will default to what ever is listed for that users default SMTP address.  External email received will show the alias (Non Default) email address. 
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:48 PM

All replies

• Please check user to see below

1. what is default SMTP address for the user

2. confirm if you have your local domain name in the accepted domains  

3. check email address policy and default email address policy i think you will find your internal domain name in the default email address policy 

Sameh Khairy

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response! :-)

hereby the information you requested:

The default smtp address = kristof@AD-domain.com

Both domains are set as authoritive

There is no email policy enabled

Br,

Kristof

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 8:57 AM
  • That's the default behavior of Exchange.  Sending internal email will default to what ever is listed for that users default SMTP address.  External email received will show the alias (Non Default) email address. 
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:48 PM
  • Hi,

I noticed you had the mail rule in your environment.

Please tell us the details of the rule.

I think you can try to change the email address to xx@AD-domain.com in the mail rule .

Regards,

David 

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:18 AM