Extremely slow USB write speeds all of a sudden? RRS feed

• Question

• Ive had my laptop for a year now and it runs on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I keep it updated with all the microsoft updates and have the usual security software. The USB write speeds have been fine up until now. I was just transferring files (700Mb xvid avi) to a USB so i could watch them on my Xbox but then all of a sudden the write speed for the files to the USB almost stopped and went to about only 800kb/s when usually i get around 10-30MB/s. I have tried writing files to a number of different USB flash drives in order to see if its only that specific USB but it seems to be univeral across all of them but i still have a few flash drives that i havent tried it on but thats because they have important files on them. I Have also tried to use these flash drives on my windows XP pc and the transfer of the same type of files was slower than usual.

So far the only things i have tried in order to solve these problems are formatting my USB drives, changing the format of them from FAT32 (which transfers slowest) to NTFS (starts off fast but slows down to about 4mb/s and freezes occasionally). I have also removed all the usb drives from device manager and installed new drivers for them but still they are slow. I have also done a system restore to try and go back to a time when the transfers were alright but this hasnt even worked.

However, copying from the USB is fine as i get speeds of around 25mb/s constantly. Also, my 120gb portable hard drive is fine. The write and copy speeds on that are normal it is just copying files to the USB flash drives that are extremely slow.

I hope that someone on this forum can help me. Ive searched for about a week on the internet but i still cant find a solution to this.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Ikram M,

Thanks for the post!

According to my understanding, when you copy files to USB flash drive, it's slow. However, read from it is fine. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You mentioned that "I Have also tried to use these flash drives on my windows XP pc and the transfer of the same type of files was slower than usual." It seems this issue is not only on Windows 7. It could be related with your USB flash drive.

In Windows 7, go to Device Manager, right-click on USB drive, Choose Properties, in the Policies tab, select Optimize for performance. Click OK. Then check the if the speed changes.

Also do a Clean Boot in case of any third-party services conflicts. Refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

In addition, ensure you insert the USB flash drive to a USB 2.0 port. Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Saturday, August 6, 2011 9:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, August 22, 2011 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:57 AM

All replies

• I have this exact same problem. This is totally unacceptable. I have found hundreds of complaints of this on forums so far and I just started looking. Microsoft, you need to step up here and get this resolved. This is a MAJOR bug. How do you ever expect to make inroads as a video editing platform if I can't save off large video files to flash drives? I'm really disgusted.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Hi Ikram M,

Thanks for the post!

According to my understanding, when you copy files to USB flash drive, it's slow. However, read from it is fine. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You mentioned that "I Have also tried to use these flash drives on my windows XP pc and the transfer of the same type of files was slower than usual." It seems this issue is not only on Windows 7. It could be related with your USB flash drive.

In Windows 7, go to Device Manager, right-click on USB drive, Choose Properties, in the Policies tab, select Optimize for performance. Click OK. Then check the if the speed changes.

Also do a Clean Boot in case of any third-party services conflicts. Refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

In addition, ensure you insert the USB flash drive to a USB 2.0 port. Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Saturday, August 6, 2011 9:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, August 22, 2011 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:57 AM
  • I agree with you that the write speed is usually slower than read speed but what I am experiencing now is still totally different from how I used to be able to use my flash drives. Also, on my windows XP computer, which I have had for around 5-6 years, this is the first time that I have had this problem and it has come at exactly the same time as it has on my windows 7 laptop and i suspect that this may have come as a side effect of a microsoft update?. Also, I do not think that this could be a problem with my USB flash drives as they are quite new with one of them almost brand new and they are from a decent company (Kingston).

Furthermore, I am sure that I am using USB2.0 ports because the speed is better than 1.0 and it says in device manager that they are 2.0 as well as saying in the manuals for my laptop and computer that they are 2.0 ports. I have tried to do the optimum performance thing that you have told me about in device manager but I cannot because I do not see the option to optimize for performance. Also, I will do the clean boot on my laptop to see if this problem still persists and I will comment back on here.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Does this happens with certain USB stick or with any stick?

Did you try to put it directly to the ports at the computer's back?

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:09 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Ikram, could it be related to a slow-down caused by indexing. Check in 'Programs & Features', 'Turn Windows features on or off' - perhaps as more files are added it spends more time re-indexing the USB stick?

regards, pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Igor, this is happening with every USB stick that I have, except my portable hard drive which for some reason is still running fine and as usual. I have tried to plug some of the USB sticks into the back of my computer to see if it is any faster but the problem still persists. There are 3 2.0 ports on my laptop and every one of these ports has the same problem.

Pkn2011, enabling and disabling stuff in the windows features isnt affecting it at all. Currently I only have around 6 or so things selected in there.

Also, Could the cause of this be because of a service pack update that i carried out on the 20/07/2011. It was through windows update and the name of it is: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932).

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Hi Ikram, you said..  enabling and disabling stuff in the windows features isnt affecting it at all.

Yes, but is the 'Indexing Service' turned ON - I was suggesting if it is try UNchecking that and see if it helps.

There are methods to roll-back an update if you suspect it is causing the problem.. But you mentioned that the problem was there on your XP system too?

Regards, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:06 PM