Making SharePoint data available off-line RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WSS 3.0 site I am building that is a document repository that used to be housed on a file server but SharePoint makes more sense for many reasons.  At the end of the project (2 -3 years) I will be expected to make all of the data available to the customer.  Is there a way to do this easily?  Do I save the site as a template with the data and expect the customer to have SharePoint available?  Otherwise I would need to copy all the documents out of the individual doc libraries (But I loose version history etc).
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>Do I save the site as a template with the data and expect the customer to have SharePoint available?

It is up to you. If your client is ready to have sharepoint then you can simply export all the data from your site. I think your requirement is more based on content management so you refer WSS 3.0.

You can also save all the document from sharepoint to your physical location with version history but it will require lot of effort. (You need to use SP object model).

Hope it could help

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Friday, February 25, 2011 1:43 AM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>Do I save the site as a template with the data and expect the customer to have SharePoint available?

It is up to you. If your client is ready to have sharepoint then you can simply export all the data from your site. I think your requirement is more based on content management so you refer WSS 3.0.

You can also save all the document from sharepoint to your physical location with version history but it will require lot of effort. (You need to use SP object model).

Hope it could help

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Friday, February 25, 2011 1:43 AM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 6:34 AM
  • Thanks - pretty much the same conclusion I came to but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask others.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 12:43 PM