Outlook 2016 search not returning all results RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

As per subject, when I perform a quick search, not all results are returned. I only realised this when I tried using the "Advanced Search" feature.

What I've tried so far...

1) Rebuilt the search index
    2) Changed the option "Download email from the past" from "6 months" to "All"
    3) Placed Outlook in cached mode and took it out of cached mode.
    3) Repaired Office from Control Panel
    4) Reinstalled Office entirely

Search is still not working as expected.

Any ideas?

Particulars....
    Office: Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus - 64bit
        Outlook: Outlook for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11328.20220)

Some observation...

When I search for all emails from a colleague, only some results are returned, evident by seeing "Search complete" at the end of the results.

eg: from:"firstname.lastname@company.com"

However, if I search for all emails from that user AND also adding an additional string for the subject, I can see this one email being enumerated. Searching just for the user, does not enumerate the email.

eg: from:"firstname.lastname@company.com" supplier proposal
    • Edited by StevenSpray Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:58 AM Added some observations
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:40 AM

All replies

• Hello,

in live (non cached mode) outlook is limited to displaying the first 250 results, so narrow your search as much as possible. if you have more than 250 to/from one person then they will never all show in search.

Cached mode I believe they should show, but you need to give the mail time to download.

• Edited by Anewton Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:13 PM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

If possible, could you please tell me that what these unsearched emails have in common? For example, the date?

Besides, please have a look at the Event Viewer when you perform a quick search and see if event logs can be found there.

In addition, it is suggested to install the latest updates.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:23 AM
  • Hi all

I run Outlook in cached mode permanently. I flipped between cached mode and online to troubleshoot this issue. I have set Outlook back to cached mode again.

ALL updates are installed (as per my initial, I have actually reinstalled Office as well, then applied numerous updates after reinstallation and no more updates found)

The emails I'm looking for are all from one specific person, that's the only commonality. When I do a quick search for person_A@company.com, only emails going back to exactly "Fri 08/12/2017 12:15" are displayed, showing "Search Complete" at the bottom with no more results appearing.

When I use the Advanced Find feature and again search for emails from person_A@company.com I can now see emails going back all the way to 2014

Thursday, April 11, 2019 9:39 AM
  • I encountered this as well.  If your Outlook is not "indexed" it will only search for text at the beginning of the word and not a 'substring'.  For example, if you search for 1234 and the string is "Ticket1234" it will not find it unless you use advanced search or have outlook indexing enabled

You can enable outlook indexing by doing the following:

1. In Outlook click "file"
    2. click "options"
    3. click "search" in the left pane
    4. click  "Indexing Options" button on right.

This requires using offline mode. 

I am unable to post links yet so search for the below strings to find some links:

• understanding-outlook-search-exchange-search-with-special-characters-and-substrings
    • Answer Microsoft outlook-2016-partial-search
    • Lookeen how-to-fix-outlook-2016-search-problems

--Brian the Bruised Op

• Edited by BruisedOp Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by BruisedOp Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:43 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:40 PM
  • Hi Brian

Outlook is being indexed already. In fact, I completely rebuilt the index, taking more than two days. This too did not work, same issue persists.

Microsoft Outlook is already present. Unless I need to add another option under "Included locations"?

Regards
    Steven

Monday, April 15, 2019 8:43 AM
  • try this as i said its a known issue with outlook search

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2185146

Monday, April 15, 2019 10:45 AM
  • Thanks for the message.

The resolution proposed in the article you sent reads....

"In Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2013: Click More below the search results to display all of the items matching your search query."

As per my initial comment, mine shows ""Search complete" at the end of the results."

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 11:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

So how about search for other recipient’s emails? the issue still persists?

Besides, please have a look at the Event Viewer when you perform a quick search and see if event logs can be found there.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 26, 2019 8:10 AM
  • try this as i said its a known issue with outlook search

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2185146

I'm getting "Sorry, page not found" on this link

I'm getting a very similar issue BTW: search returns only messages dated before a specific timestamp, whichever search clauses i'm using.

Searching for messages posted laster (ie last week) gives nothing, using "find more on server" link is successful though

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 8:03 AM