none
windows 10 1703 mdt sysprep RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I tried to capture the image ,it successfully captured .But at the end the master pc ended in the error "Windows could not finish

configuring the system".... I did the capturing from an account which is local administrator but not default "Administrator"

Any ideas

Thanks

Monday, August 14, 2017 5:58 PM

Answers

• I use all three methods. I use the first one to remove preprovisioned apps from the image that I don't want (optional). I use the registry change in the unattend to keep new apps from being added and I use the other step of disabling store updates to keep them from being updated when I'm creating the reference image. Just be sure to follow the last part of turning store updates back on.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by supportsib Friday, August 25, 2017 5:50 PM
    Friday, August 25, 2017 1:10 PM
  • 1) Yes you can deploy an older build with that ADK, but you need that ADK to deploy the latest build.

Even though you are creating a "reference image" you must deploy a default image of Windows to a computer (hopefully a VM). During this initial deployment you can add applications, features, etc. This becomes your reference image you want to capture in order to deploy a customized image of Windows.

By creating this as one single task sequence, you streamline the process. You can add a suspend task (see picture) to give yourself a chance to make any manual customization or to create a checkpoint of your VM.

Once you have captured this image, you will need to import the custom image into MDT. You then create a new task sequence to deploy this custom image. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/deploy-windows-mdt/deploy-a-windows-10-image-using-mdt

• Marked as answer by supportsib Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:12 PM
  • Correct, your custom image is the final image you intend to deploy to your physical machines.

• Marked as answer by supportsib Saturday, August 19, 2017 10:15 AM
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Removing any particular app is up to your discretion, but setting that registry key to not download new apps during the build will prevent sysprep errors when making your reference image.

You are perfectly welcome to change that registry key back during the deployment of your reference image to actual hardware, but I leave it disabled because I'm deploying work machines and not really trying to give people a "consumer" feel.

• Marked as answer by supportsib Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:29 AM
    Monday, August 21, 2017 3:22 PM

All replies

• If you are using MDT, you must use THE local "Administrator" account and not just an account with local admin rights.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

The script (Sysprep)  must be  run from the "Administrator" account ? 

Thanks?

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:06 PM
  • If you want some step by step guides on creating a reference image and capturing it, I'd recommend these guides:

Building a Windows 10 v1703 reference image using MDT

Back to Basics - Building a Windows 7 SP1 Reference Image using MDT 2013 Update 2

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 4:38 PM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the valuable info  ,
    1) If windows adk is 1703 can I use any windows version lower than 1703 ? 

The task sequence will now do the following:
    Install the Windows 10 Enterprise operating system.    
    Install the added applications, roles, and features.    
    Stage WinPE on the local disk.    
    Run Sysprep and reboot into WinPE.    
    Capture the Windows 10 installation to a WIM file.

Why we have to use standard task sequence  to capture the images 

From the above we are deploying and capturing at the same time .Then we get a wim file . 
    So we’ll deploy this  file on other computers ? 

Thanks

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 9:42 AM
  • 1) Yes you can deploy an older build with that ADK, but you need that ADK to deploy the latest build.

Even though you are creating a "reference image" you must deploy a default image of Windows to a computer (hopefully a VM). During this initial deployment you can add applications, features, etc. This becomes your reference image you want to capture in order to deploy a customized image of Windows.

By creating this as one single task sequence, you streamline the process. You can add a suspend task (see picture) to give yourself a chance to make any manual customization or to create a checkpoint of your VM.

Once you have captured this image, you will need to import the custom image into MDT. You then create a new task sequence to deploy this custom image. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/deploy-windows-mdt/deploy-a-windows-10-image-using-mdt

• Marked as answer by supportsib Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

You are awesome .

Thanks a million 

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:23 PM
  • Hi,

"You then create a new task sequence to deploy this custom image. "

This is for the physical PC , correct ? 

Once deployed we will have add the drivers and need to take the image of the physical pc ?

Thanks

Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:17 AM
  • Correct, your custom image is the final image you intend to deploy to your physical machines.

• Marked as answer by supportsib Saturday, August 19, 2017 10:15 AM
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

It would be great if you could share  office 2016  part for reference image ?

Thanks

Saturday, August 19, 2017 3:17 PM
  • Import Office as an application

Then use the OCT to customize the installation as needed

Monday, August 21, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

I tried this .Office installed perfectly .But the word is not opening . All other excel,power point are opening . 

There are some articles which says we should disable internet to avoid windows update , otherwise sysprep will break when capturing image of windows 10 1703 

can you clarify 

Thanks

Monday, August 21, 2017 2:35 PM
  • There could be an issue with your copy of Office. My VMs that I build on have access to the internet and run windows update during the build of my reference image, I've never had issue with that but I implement a couple changes, see below.

I use this script and following method (policy change) because I remove some apps and prevent new ones from being added.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/11/removing-windows-10-in-box-apps-during-a-task-sequence/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/23/seeing-extra-apps-turn-them-off/

I'd recommend editing the Unattend.xml to add the registry key mentioned in that second link.

Monday, August 21, 2017 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any particular reason for removing this app 

Thanks

Monday, August 21, 2017 3:17 PM
  • Removing any particular app is up to your discretion, but setting that registry key to not download new apps during the build will prevent sysprep errors when making your reference image.

You are perfectly welcome to change that registry key back during the deployment of your reference image to actual hardware, but I leave it disabled because I'm deploying work machines and not really trying to give people a "consumer" feel.

• Marked as answer by supportsib Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:29 AM
    Monday, August 21, 2017 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

How I can put  the registryvalue in the unattended.xml

Thanks

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:30 AM
  • It's on the webpage (2nd link) provided earlier.

To do the same thing via unattend.xml, you can add a “RunSynchronous” command to set the registry value.  Something like this (make sure the <Order> value is unique and one greater than the previous RunSynchronousCommand entry):

<RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
        <Description>disable consumer features</Description>
        <Order>5</Order>
        <Path>reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent /v DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f</Path>
    </RunSynchronousCommand>

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply ,Instead of manually editing the xml file , Is it possible  to do from the task sequence (windows system image manager )wizard itself ?

Thanks

• Edited by supportsib Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:53 AM change
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:45 AM
  • Hi,

If we created reference image and we deployed to a physical PC , installed some  drivers .

The next step is we have to take the image of the physical pc .So we create a task sequence (sysprep and capture) . 

first question , the above step is valid ? 

second question we have to disable the registry key for the above mentioned task sequence((sysprep and capture) also ? 

Thanks

Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply ,Instead of manually editing the xml file , Is it possible  to do from the task sequence (windows system image manager )wizard itself ?

Thanks

Yes it is possible, I just find it much easier to copy and paste that in by manually editing the xml file. I like to use Notepad++ which is free and color codes the code to make it easier to deal with.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:45 PM
  • It's on the webpage (2nd link) provided earlier.

To do the same thing via unattend.xml, you can add a “RunSynchronous” command to set the registry value.  Something like this (make sure the <Order> value is unique and one greater than the previous RunSynchronousCommand entry):

<Order>5</Order>
        <Path>reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent /v DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f</Path>
    </RunSynchronousCommand>

Hi,

I have tried the above  and ended up in the below error 

Please help

Thanks

Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:47 PM
  • Hi,

If we created reference image and we deployed to a physical PC , installed some  drivers .

The next step is we have to take the image of the physical pc .So we create a task sequence (sysprep and capture) . 

first question , the above step is valid ? 

second question we have to disable the registry key for the above mentioned task sequence((sysprep and capture) also ? 

Thanks

Once you create and capture your reference image, you are done. That is the final image you deploy to all physical machines. Deal with drivers using this method - Lite Touch Driver Management I'd recommend using the Total Control method if you deploy to Dell, HP or Lenovo

Use the registry key in the unattend.xml for your reference image. You can leave it like that unless you really want Windows to automatically install store apps like Candy Crush, etc on all your machines. 

Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:53 PM
  • If you copy and paste it exactly, you probably will get an error. As the blog states the Order number has to be sequential. If there are only 2 commands before it, then the order would need to be 3. It depends on what your unattend file looks like.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:04 PM
  • Here is the error 

---------------------------

2017-08-24 06:13:14, Error                 SYSPRP Package Microsoft.3DBuilder_13.0.10349.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe was installed for a user, but not provisioned for all users. This package will not function properly in the sysprep image.

2017-08-24 06:13:14, Error                 SYSPRP Failed to remove apps for the current user: 0x80073cf2.

2017-08-24 06:13:14, Error                 SYSPRP Exit code of RemoveAllApps thread was 0x3cf2.

2017-08-24 06:13:14, Error      [0x0f0082] SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule: Failure occurred while executing 'SysprepGeneralizeValidate' from C:\Windows\System32\AppxSysprep.dll; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2017-08-24 06:13:14, Error                 SYSPRP SysprepSession::Validate: Error in validating actions from C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\ActionFiles\Generalize.xml; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2017-08-24 06:13:14, Error                 SYSPRP RunPlatformActions:Failed while validating SysprepSession actions; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2017-08-24 06:13:14, Error      [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2017-08-24 06:13:14, Error      [0x0f00d8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while pre-validate sysprep generalize internal providers; hr = 0x80073cf2

and here is unattended.xml  

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <RunSynchronous>
                        <Description>EnableAdmin</Description>
                        <Order>1</Order>
                        <Path>cmd /c net user Administrator /active:yes</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                        <Description>UnfilterAdministratorToken</Description>
                        <Order>2</Order>
                        <Path>cmd /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v FilterAdministratorToken /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                        <Description>disable user account page</Description>
                        <Order>3</Order>
                        <Path>reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE /v UnattendCreatedUser /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                        <Description>disable async RunOnce</Description>
                        <Order>4</Order>
                        <Path>reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer /v AsyncRunOnce /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
        <Order>5</Order>
    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                </RunSynchronous>
            </component>

Thanks for your support 

Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:19 PM
  • Did you use the first script Remove Windows 10 in box apps during a task sequence to remove apps such as the 3d builder? Also make sure you do not attempt to log in with an account other than Administrator when building your reference image. 

Of the two blog posts they deal with different sets of apps. The first one deals with store apps included with Windows 10 and the second is to keep new apps from being added during the creation of your reference image.

Once you edit the unattend file you would need to build a new image for that change to take effect.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

" Did you use the first script Remove Windows 10 in box apps during a task sequence to remove apps such as the 3d builder " 

No , I have edited only  unattended.xml file for the  disablingconsumerfeature 

There is only one account Administrator (No script for adding account in task sequence ) 

" Once you edit the unattend file you would need to build a new image for that change to take effect. " 

This was happened  when building new reference image Thanks

Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Hi,

Do we need to disable post and pre windows update ?

If yes and reason 

Thanks

Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:31 PM
  • You might want to read over these guides for step by step help

Building a Windows 10 v1703 reference image using MDT

Fixing why Sysprep fails in Windows 10 due to Windows Store updates

Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:30 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply .

Just for clarification , 

The link https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/11/removing-windows-10-in-box-apps-during-a-task-sequence/

and the link Fixing why Sysprep fails in Windows 10 due to Windows Store updates  do the same job ,it saves from the sysprep fail.

the first link remove the apps also.

So as per your expert opinion ,is that a problem in using both methods ?

Thanks 

Friday, August 25, 2017 1:26 AM
  • I use all three methods. I use the first one to remove preprovisioned apps from the image that I don't want (optional). I use the registry change in the unattend to keep new apps from being added and I use the other step of disabling store updates to keep them from being updated when I'm creating the reference image. Just be sure to follow the last part of turning store updates back on.

• Marked as answer by supportsib Friday, August 25, 2017 5:50 PM
    Friday, August 25, 2017 1:10 PM
  • Hi,

Usually I do the following steps 

Create a reference image , 

deploy using new task sequence to  physical machine ,

Add remaining software like antivirus , media applications , custom made applications ,missing drivers ) 

(The problem is really difficult to add all  the software in reference image .Lot of entries required in task sequence )  

Create   a task sequence (sysprep and capture )  and capture the image ,and deploy in multiple pc's .

At the end final image is thick image .

First Question  This approach is valid ? 

Basically I have 4 task sequence to complete one  deployment (reference  image , deploy the reference image , sysprep and capture from the physical pc and  finaly deploy  bulk ) .

So the question is do I need to add   all the recommendation from the below links .(Because the recommendations are for saving  sysprep failures  and all the task sequences are doing sysprep . 

Please correct me If I am wrong 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/11/removing-windows-10-in-box-apps-during-a-task-sequence/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/23/seeing-extra-apps-turn-them-off/

Thanks

Saturday, August 26, 2017 10:33 AM
  • Hi,

For my reference image  i have  used the recommendation from the below links .

but still i am facing the issues like below 

SYSPRP Package Microsoft.3DBuilder_13.0.10349.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe was installed for a user, but not provisioned for all users. This package will not function properly in the sysprep image.

Please help 

Thanks

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 3:40 AM