Unable to start cmd.exe within App-V 5.0 application bubble RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to dive into an App-V application bubble with the following command:

cmd.exe /appvve:aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-eeeeeeee_11111111-2222-3333-4444-55555555

as in article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2848278,
    I assumed that I end up with a CMD session that lives in the application bubble and can see its virtual application folders and registry.

However, no application folders can be seen in the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (X86) root folder. Instead, only the same folders are visible that exist also in the parent PC.

To briefly double-check the GUID syntax, I used the command

iexplore.exe /appvve:aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-eeeeeeee_11111111-2222-3333-4444-55555555

and if the Package and Version GUIDs are correct, IE opens in home page. If GUIDs do not match, IE tries to open that "GUID" URL. So, it is clear that there is no typo in the command arguments.

What is wrong with this? How to dive into the bubble?

Br, Kari

Monday, March 17, 2014 3:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Can you browse to c:\program files\yourappfolder?

Within App-V 5 the folders are not visible

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, March 17, 2014 9:09 PM
  • No I can't:

• In the W7 bit sequencing machine, after sequencing Java, there is C:\Program Files\Java folder
    • In the W8.1 64-bit destination machine, after starting the cmd.exe with the /appvve switch, I can switch to the Program Files and Program Files (X86) folder with CD command, but not to the Java subfolder

However, I have several App-V 5.0 apps that I have installed with the MSI file to the W8.1 destination machine, and as such they are working OK.

It seems that I now have missed something simple.
    How to successfully travel into the application bubble?

Br, Kari

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:52 AM
  • Do you have files in the VFS?

Dan blogged about this issue:

http://packageology.com/2014/02/app-v-5-pvad-vfs-layering-bug/

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:40 AM