External hard drive & virtual machine in Win 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use my XP 32-bit hard drive (it is in an external enclosure) on a Virtual Machine under Windows 10 64-bit.  The HP Win 10 machine has 16 GB of RAM and 2TB hard drive.  The XP hard drive (120 GB) came from my old Gateway computer which has been trashed. I no longer have the key.  Installed on the hard drive are Visual Basic 6 and many programs written by me.  A few are compiled and function on Windows 10, but many others are not compiled.  I would like to compile those for use on my Win 10 machine and even write a few more.  A large program is compiled and cannot run because it requires a DLL to be installed on the Win 10 machine.  I prefer to use the XP hard drive (in the external enclosure) as is with the virtual machine set up if possible.  I am assuming that since the XP OS and Visual Basic are installed on that hard drive, they can function as they once did.  I have never attempted a virtual machine and need detailed instructions on what steps to follow.  My question is, can I do what I state above and, if yes, how do I do it?
    • Moved by Danny van DamMVP Monday, June 6, 2016 8:51 AM not related to training and certification
    Sunday, June 5, 2016 2:02 AM

Answers

• You unmount the disk from your Win 10 OS.

Then you are able to assign it to a VM that you have built as a passthrough disk.

If you make a Generation 1 VM, you could even boot into WinXP.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Monday, June 6, 2016 3:45 PM