none
drill down the charts created by MDX RRS feed

• Question

• I created some charts using MDX and they can't be drilled down. Can I add more MDX code to enable the drill down? Or can I create a link of the chart to another dynamic chart so that I can drill down the linked chart for more information?  Thank you!
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:05 PM

Answers

• create the average calculation in your cube.  this will provide some interaction with the chart or grid to slice-and-dice, but unfortunately you will not be able to drillthrough because it is a calculation and calculations cannot be used for drillthrough (show details).  maybe that is not needed and you just want to be able to slice-and-dice and drill into hierarchies.

all metrics and business logic should be in the cube for a single point of reference.  you don't want to create metrics all over the place that are not reuseable.  if you do this then it would be very hard to maintain and you couldn't guarantee that everyone is using the same logic.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:46 PM

All replies

• In order to get any type of interaction with the Analytical items you will need to look at modifying your setup so you do not have to customize the MDX.  What type of customization have you made?  Maybe we can provide some alternative solutions or offer some suggestions.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:12 PM
  • I want to get some averages or ratios charts which can't be done by drag-and-drop; or if using drag-and-drop, I can't drill down to the dimensions that are in 'Background'. It will be a little complicated to describe it without seeing the data, please let me know if I can send you the file and let me know what's the best way to discuss this. I really appreciate your help.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Hi Dan, I think I can start with a simple scenario: the data file contains daily hours for ids, I want to have a chart shows daily average hours(average over ids), how can I plot this chart and the chart can be drilled down to show daily hours for each id?  Thank you!
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:41 PM
  • create the average calculation in your cube.  this will provide some interaction with the chart or grid to slice-and-dice, but unfortunately you will not be able to drillthrough because it is a calculation and calculations cannot be used for drillthrough (show details).  maybe that is not needed and you just want to be able to slice-and-dice and drill into hierarchies.

all metrics and business logic should be in the cube for a single point of reference.  you don't want to create metrics all over the place that are not reuseable.  if you do this then it would be very hard to maintain and you couldn't guarantee that everyone is using the same logic.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:46 PM