none
Power Query cannot connect to HTTPS OData feed RRS feed

• Question

• In Power Query (Excel 2013) I try to connect to OData feed with SSL. I provide a url that starts with https://my_site.
    The Power Query fails to connect to it. After a timeout it returns an error:

"OData: Request failed: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable. (Service Unavailable)"

After investigation I found out that Power Query tries to call the url in HTTP method instead of HTTPS. 

I have a trusted certificate for my_site. 

How can I make Power Query to use HTTPS?

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mik. Looking at our OData code, I don't see anything that would prevent HTTPS from working. Can you share your queries (by copying from the Advanced Editor, and removing any URLs or other sensitive info you don't want to share)?

Thanks,

Ehren

Friday, September 15, 2017 6:04 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ehren,

The problem happens before I can use the Advanced Editor.

I just select the data source: 'From Other Sources' -> 'From OData Feed'. Provide the URL to my server that starts with https:// and press OK. After about 2 minutes I get this error.

"OData: Request failed: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable. (Service Unavailable)"

I looked at the network traffic and found that at this point Excel calls my server using HTTP instead of HTTPS..

What could cause this behaviour?

Sunday, September 17, 2017 10:18 AM
  • Hi Mik. Would you be able to provide us with more details (such as a Fiddler trace) over email?

If so, please Send a Frown, attach the Fiddler trace, and mention my name.

Thanks,

Ehren

Monday, September 18, 2017 11:28 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Mik. Are you able to Send a Frown? Let me know.

Ehren

Friday, September 22, 2017 9:45 PM
    Owner
  • I have exactly the same problem!!  how did you solve it?

Description of my problem (occures both in power-query and power-bi)

Is there a way to force power-query to use HTTPS?

thanks

Ayellet

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Based on the screen shot of the Fiddler trace, your data is returning an HTTP link to the metadata document instead of an HTTPS link. You need to fix the service to return an HTTPS link to the metadata document.
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:53 PM
  • Thank you Curt.
    Indeed the link in the service document contains the HTTP link.

The reason for that is that my server is behind WAF (web application firewall) and load balancer.
    so Power query send HTTPS request, but inside the server, the request contains only HTTP.
    I'm using Oligno to build the service document, and this framework use this request (with HTTP ) to build the link to metadata docuemnt. 

So my question is - why Power Query need this link?
    I already gave the URL to my application in the connection dialog, Why do not use this URL?
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 10:11 AM